• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ignition switch concerns

Merkatroyd

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,

I have a 1993 Jeep XJ Sport. I have been needing to "fidget" my ignition key to remove it. typically, it doesn't come out unless I coax it a little clockwise and counterclockwise, then it finally gives it up. This repeated back and forth stress caused my original ignition lock cylinder to fail, which I replaced last year.It has gradually gotten stiffer and caused more trouble over time. It is almost always hard for me to remove my keys from my jeep.

A few days ago, a new problem has developed. when I try to start my Jeep, I turn my key clockwise, and I get a LOT of resistance, and then --snap!-- it pops the last 20 to 30 degrees and the jeep starts.

What could be the problem and how do I fix it?

Your ignition switch is at the base of the column with a rod connecting the key cylinder that goes through the column.

Have you ever replace the switch?

Your ignition switch is at the base of the column with a rod connecting the key cylinder that goes through the column.

Have you ever replace the switch?

Just replaced the switch. I had no idea that ignition switches could get so stiff. I thought that the jamming had something to do with those long rods. I am very grateful I didn't have to pull my steering wheel and gut my steering column.

PROBLEM FIXED!! THANKS!!

Also, the ignition switch was on its way out anyway for a different reason too, it seems... one of the pins on the connector is showing heat damage. Googling it shows this is a typical problem with these XJ's.

I had the same problem a while back. I suspected the switch. When I changed it I discovered the connector had partially melted. Fortunately, I was able to cut the blobs off.

Back