• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

IFS vs. Solid Axle

I'm not reading the entire thread to see if this has been mentioned before...

Toyota has set precedence with a vehicle being available in both IFS and SFA form. Land Cruiser UZJ100 vs UZJ105. It's the Land Cruiser version of the Lexus LX470. In other markets it is available in SFA form (UZJ105).

SFA is more robust and reliable, can go longer between servicing typically, easier on the steering gear, more capable off road. IFS is rides better. And that's about it.

Toyota did it with trucks in 86

The reason I ask is that I am writing a business proposal for my English Class on why Toyota should redesign the front suspension of the FJ Cruiser to incorporate a Solid Axle instead of IFS.
Because it is cheaper to manufacture a SFA system, therefore providing a better value for the customer.

Because it is cheaper to manufacture a SFA system, therefore providing a better value for the customer.

It would cost money to switch production to solid axle though. Then there is the cost from producing it concurrently with the existing IFS which would still be used on the 4Runner and Tacoma.

TTB isn't as bad as Internet lore would have you believe.

No lore, I talk from experience. At least stock there isn't much travel, hardly any articulation, and the ground clearance leaves alot to be desired. The only somewhat nice thing is changing the passenger shaft is a breeze, after it's been done once and all the rust is knocked off :laugh:

As for the original post....from the car manufacturers viewpoint....we're freaks. Most rigs never leave the tar. The few that do it's just a dirt road. We're the very select few...rocks and lots of body damage. We're not exactly on the top of the "to build a vehicle to please" group.

That and 99% of people that wheel their vehicles hard enough to get body damage wouldn't start out with a new rig, which means once again they're not the target market for the mfr.

Back