• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need some help

I've cleaned the TB

I've checked the TPS far as I can tell it is good

The IAS is the one right next to the TPS right? how would I check that?

change the fuel filter yet? run a bottle of injector cleaner in the tank? if it will idle and die when you hit the throttle it could be the fuel filter or dirty injectors. you should change the fuel filter every 20k or so.

i just changed mine yesterday :D

check this out the other day i took off my cap rotor and plugs from my jeep to put on ths project knowing they were good and to see if that might be part of my problem. It wasnt. I refered to the chiltons manuale jeep started right up. I bought new wires cap and rotor for my jeep installed them the same way and it wouldnt start. So after playing with the wires moving them clock wise on the cap (2) points down (different from what is shown in the man and how installed on the project) it fired right up. Now i know you can get your wires mixed up and it will kinda run, but I wondering if the wires on the project are the same way. The only thing is that it starts and idels fine but as soon as you open the throttle it bogs down. could this be my problem?

homebrew said:
check this out the other day i took off my cap rotor and plugs from my jeep to put on ths project knowing they were good and to see if that might be part of my problem. It wasnt. I refered to the chiltons manuale jeep started right up. I bought new wires cap and rotor for my jeep installed them the same way and it wouldnt start. So after playing with the wires moving them clock wise on the cap (2) points down (different from what is shown in the man and how installed on the project) it fired right up. Now i know you can get your wires mixed up and it will kinda run, but I wondering if the wires on the project are the same way. The only thing is that it starts and idels fine but as soon as you open the throttle it bogs down. could this be my problem?
uhhh what?
you refered to the chiltons manual and then did what?
if you hooked up the wires the way chiltons says and the jeep started then took the wires off and put new ones on the way chiltons says and the jeep wouldnt start.. something sounds screwwwwy.. or i am not reading this corectly
anyone?

think I figured it out, i took the tps off while the engine was running played with the arm mimicing the movement of the throttle, same response it bogs and dies.

Ok the thing with my jeep i changed the wires and installed them following the firing order only thing is that the order is different in the book it shows #1 being right below the screw which is the way the project jeep is, on my jeep #1 is two points down from the screw. did this change between the years, or is the screw just there for reference?

Chilton's is junk. I like alldatadiy.com, $25 a year to get all the factory mechanical and electrical diagrams and torque specs etc etc. Or just get the factory service manual. Trying to do serious work with a Chilton's will make you go nuts.

TPS is trivial to test with an ohmmeter, it's just a variable resistor. I don't know offhand what the correct values are but if you some resistance at one end and some different resistance at the other that is a good sign. If it's dead it will probably be shorted or open.

Again you need air fuel compression and spark (with correct timing) to run. So check the obvious. Is your air filter clogged? Are you REALLY getting good fuel pressure, even when you throttle up? (Borrow a fuel rail pressure guage from autozone maybe?) You can buy a cheap compression tester for $20 that will be invaluable any time you buy a used car in the future. NEVER test for spark by shorting the ignition to ground, you will blow up your coil/module. Either pull a spark plug and look for spark in the gap, or buy a $5 inline spark gap doohicky. Timing is tough to screw up on these engines since it's computerized. It either works or it doesn't. If it doesn't, it could be plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil, HEI module, or any of the engine sensors. Let us not forget the O2 sensor, definately a suspect.

Anyway you can play johnny-fool-around forever trying to guess what's wrong, best to divide and conquor. If you don't have the right tools to do that, buy beg borrow or steal.

Back