• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I have to rant.

Fred

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I was heading south on Wahsatch today and stopped at the light at Fontanero. Wahsatch is a four lane street with a median and parking along the side. The parking is wide enough you can open a car door when a car is passing by, and not have it hit, usually. :) There was a guy about my age on a very nice road bike in front of me at the intersection in the lane. That's fine. The sidewalks were rebuilt to intrude into the street to slow drivers. I waited respectfully behind him at the light. When the light turned I kept my distance behind him across the intersection in anticipation that once he was past obstacles he would move over into the parking lane that was clear for the entire next block. You know, share the road, give them 3 feet.

Wrong, he stayed where he was in the driving lane. So I had to wait on traffic to move into the left lane and give him 3 feet. I opened the passenger window and expressed my displeasure as I passed him. When I parked in front of my house, I waited in the street to tell him he was an arrogant asshole when he passed. His reply, "Yes, I am." He then turned right towards Tejon, and the enclave of liberal Collorado College professors.

I was a serious bicyclist long before I was into cars. I was in the first and maybe only bicycle protest ride in the US, down State Street in downtown Chicago in 1970. We caused the concept of bike lanes to hit the general public. I commuted to school and work on a bicylcle for the first 20 years I worked until we moved to Philly. Point being, I liked riding a bicycle. I had one of the best road bikes money could buy in 1968(used, couldn't afford it otherwise, a custom frame that didn't quite fit.) I was an asshole on a bike, stop signs were yield to me, and lights were optional depending on traffic, but I knew if I goofed it was on me. I never expected drivers to cater to me, I rode next to the curb and dealt with it.

So this holier than thou attitude, really pisses me off. I'll bet you $10 the @#$%^& voted for Obama. That damn liberal attitude made me quit voting independent and vote republican.

The second time I was stopped by a cop when I was a kid in grade school was for riding two abreast on bicycles. He was serious. We were to get to the side of the road. Filling the entire lane seems to be modus operandi of bicyclists these days. Bunch of wussies. :soapbox:

I hate it too. Its even worse in boulder. crappiest thing is youre wrong no matter what, cuz they are on the bike. It sucks.....

I call them speed bumps.

I always give them their 3 feet, too bad they can't show the same courtesy.I think the problem is that a majority of them have arrogant, eliteist attitudes and there is no reasoning with them. They think "share the road" doesn't apply to them, only to automobiles and if you try to call them out they always seem to take the "victim" mentality.I still think they should have to register and insure their bikes if they're going to be on public roads just like cars and motorcycles have to.Another thing that would help tremendously is if these eliteist jackasses would learn and acknowledge the meaning of the term SINGLE FILE.

Last edited:
Fred said:
I never expected drivers to cater to me
Same here, they were bigger than me. :D

Jeff, I damn near got a ticket on my bicycle, when I was 13. I think anybody who uses the public rights of way should have the same consideration.

I was towing the 88 with the big dodge headed to left had canyon, when I came upon a pack of bikes. I gave them plenty of room when one of them decided to pass without looking and swung way out in my lane. I had to swerve completely into the other side of the road to keep from running him over. I hit the horn to let him know I was there, he did even try to get out of the way. Then when he passed me at the trail head, he yells, It's our road too, so I yelled back you swerved right in front of me and I almost ran you over. Dumbass. His arrogance almost cost him his life.

Last edited:
We had an incident here a few years ago where the cyclist did lose his life. This happened on a section of 13th Street with some nice trees and a series of blind curves. Nowdays, there is a nice little memorial where the kid got splatted, and yellow, diamond shaped signs, that say RIDE SINGLE FILE at both ends of the curvy section.

That was pretty scary, because he actually started to disappear from my view over the hood. I thought for sure I was going to hit him. We were both lucky a car wasn't coming the other way. If there was, I don't know what I would have done. I'm sure if there was a car there and I would have plowed into that car, he would have just kept going, even though he would have been the one that caused the accident.

Back