• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I drank the kool-aid (project Mall Crawler)

this thread is starting to remind me of that one time Mason wanted to borrow a tow rig and trailer... IIRC, that turned out great!

Mason - you're concerned about cheap, do the math. With 35's, cheap as mike says, you can swap only the rear axle (8.8/44), keep the front, maintain 5 on 4.5 wheels, enjoy your jeep before you ship out. For 37's, particularly you preference for 10-ply military boat anchors, you'll have to swap both axles, get new wheels, and really beef the hell out of the remainder of the drivetrain, since all that rolling weight is undoubtedly going to break shit, unless you move to HD44 front minimum and a 60+ rear... now we're moving the stress of those meats to a chain-driven 231 tcase... hmmm.

Yeah, do what's cheap, the the HMMVVTUUIDMNTY.

Ira... I'm stuck here for the next 5 months. Nothing but working and hanging around. I'd say I have PLENTY of time/money for it.

As for 35/37s, I'd much rather do 37s, its just gonna come down to whether or not I can find a front axle.

And Kiefer...

These tires are well used. I would not recommend then for daily driver use, but would be good for trail use.... All hold air just fine I just got a new set for the jeep! Two have alignment wear but all have about 20% tread remaining.

Exactly why I'm looking at the HMMWVs. This is what cheap tires on CL look like.

and what about the link i posted up? thats cheap, and in good shape. with rims

Those are pretty good. I may pick those up if they're still around when its time for tires, but I need axles before I do that. I might pick up that 44 kiefer posted about.

You can lead a man to knowledge, but you can't make him think......

.!.:D.!
That was my sig line for a while lol

Let me know when you can find cheap 17'' Humvee wheels.

I dont know if you have priced out a well built 44, but they arnt cheap. Tons are even more expensive.

If I were you, build it on 35s, find a 44 or 8.8 for the back and build a hp30 for the front. The bigger the tire, the more expensive it gets. But if you just want this to wheel in mud at 50psi and cruise the strip, go big and get 54s.

Also, theres no point in building a rig up only to sell it in 5 months. You wont get your money out of it, you will have a harder time selling it, and I doubt you will get it where you want in that time frame. Look at all the builds in advanced fab and see how long and how much it takes to build things right.

Ira... I'm stuck here for the next 5 months. Nothing but working and hanging around. I'd say I have PLENTY of time/money for it.

As for 35/37s, I'd much rather do 37s, its just gonna come down to whether or not I can find a front axle.

And Kiefer...

Exactly why I'm looking at the HMMWVs. This is what cheap tires on CL look like.

There is nothing wrong with having plans and working towards them. 5 months is REALLY not all that long and they are winter months to boot. Your idea of a winter beater is sound and you should stick with that. The Army is a full time deal and you will find yourself with little if any time once you get started! I have given you crap over the last several months, maybe a little to much. I am not trying to bash you or your plans here. I am only trying to get you to think really hard about this with just 5 months before your full time commitment to the Army! My advice as a friend here is this. Do only what is needed to make the rig work well for the winter, get settled in with your Army career and reaccess your situation and your rig.:thumbup:

who the hell is this sensitive dude posting under C-Raptor's screen name? I wonder if Ira has been kidnapped and the perps are using his computer...

who the hell is this sensitive dude posting under C-Raptor's screen name? I wonder if Ira has been kidnapped and the perps are using his computer...

And some bona fide comedian has absconded with Jim's screen name, too. :looney:

There is nothing wrong with having plans and working towards them. 5 months is REALLY not all that long and they are winter months to boot. Your idea of a winter beater is sound and you should stick with that. The Army is a full time deal and you will find yourself with little if any time once you get started! I have given you crap over the last several months, maybe a little to much. I am not trying to bash you or your plans here. I am only trying to get you to think really hard about this with just 5 months before your full time commitment to the Army! My advice as a friend here is this. Do only what is needed to make the rig work well for the winter, get settled in with your Army career and reaccess your situation and your rig.:thumbup:

I agree , but the Army isn't what it used to be , friggin candy land now .
My brother has been mech 11-B for three years and has yet to put in a full day of work , always on the cell phone and E-mails and even has time for a band , whom of witch just got signed by a major record company .
During basic he called me at least two times a week on his cell phone , talking about how much fun he is having ...
When I was in , I was wondering what the f@ck I was thinking signing up for
Airborne Inf and spec ops :doh:
At the same time I'm glad I'm not serving with a bunch of ill trained texters.

Haven't had any time to work on it since I got this damn job... been working 12 hours a day, every day, no days off trying to get that Mustang done by the ridiculous deadline.

But when (or if) I ever get some time to work on my own shit, I think it'll be getting a Ford 9". Still undecided on the front.

I had a set of the H1 bias tires (key word is HAD)... they were crap. Traded them off and got some 39" IROKs.

I got a set of double beadlocks I'll hook you up with, too. :thumbup:

You had the old style though didn't ya? The old ones make the new style ones look like gold lol.

Double beadlocks eh? Who makes em? Price? Pics?
PM me :)

Back