• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to make my rig look less soccer mom like...

Since we are bringing up cars that have nothing to do with this, aren't you forgetting abou
T the Syclone/Typhoon?

he said inline motors sound like ass, not v6's :D

FWIW my long chamber magnaflow sounds a hell of a lot better than the flowmaster 40 series i had on it before. nice deep rumble but not unbearable at high rpms.

The i6 sounds pretty good ***** and a mellow muffler. Otherwise it sounds like a lawnmower.

Thou Shalt Not Advocate Removal of OEM Emissions Devices...

EDIT - Besides, you can get a high-flow cat, so there's no reason to not have one...

Last edited by a moderator:
he said inline motors sound like ass, not v6's :D

FWIW my long chamber magnaflow sounds a hell of a lot better than the flowmaster 40 series i had on it before. nice deep rumble but not unbearable at high rpms.
v6's sound like ass too, but the turbo 3.8/4.3 has a special place in my heart so i let it slide. :D
I guess it's just a sore subject for me because of all the douche bags around here who blow down my street with their shitty v6 silverados with dual exhaust and flowmasters. like they're fooling people into thinking they have a v8. and dont get me started on the imports....

The i6 sounds pretty good without a cat and a mellow muffler. Otherwise it sounds like a lawnmower.
I guess we all just have to deal with sounding like a lawnmower since we all keep our cats in order to remain legal then, right?

If you want to open up the exhaust, I've had good luck using Walker Turbo II mufflers and catalytic converters spec's for a single app under a V8 Chevvy - straight install on RENIX, and you'll probably have to add a bung in the pipe after it for OBD-II. HEGO threads are a standard size (M18-1.5,) and any competent exhaust shop should have a boxful of them on the shelf most of the time.

Last time I had to get a bung welded into a pipe, it cost me a sixpack to the shop owner and took about ten minutes (probably closer to five, and most of that was drilling the hole to put the bung in.)

Cutting the fenders and ditching the flares would help. I personally think no muffler sounds great, much more manly but thats my opinion. Aftermarket bumpers and lights would be cool too. If you take the doors off in the summer people will think your crazy, but they won't think your a soccer mom hahaha

Probably going to get some haters from this but if your looking to make your jeep look less soccer momish and money is an issue and you wanna gain decent tire clearance in the front pick up a set of stock TJ flares. Did it to mine when i was on a budget and i liked how it turned out enough to just leave them on instead of buying bushwackers. Only reason i put flares on after i trimmed however is because i need them to pass inspection in PA cause it's my daily driver. Ponit is, if you want to save money and mod your jeep at the same time TJ flares would be a good option in my book but I know there are people out there that think it's taboo to use wrangler parts on an XJ and to them i say if i had a limitless budget i would've gotten the biggest and best stuff but I gotta work with what i got and I'm fine with that.

soccer momish
betsywhenIgother.jpg

I resent that!

I believe the law is that if it left the factory with cats then legally theyre supposed to have them.

Correct. If it left the factory with any emissions device, then such devices must be maintained if it is to be operated on public roadways.

Asinine (because there are better ways to solve the problem,) but there you go. It's either under EPA regs or 49CFR Part 1 (FMVSS,) I don't recall which

anything but a v8 should NOT have a loud exhaust. the only exception is a grand national. inline motors just sound like ass, there is no meaness about them.
the previous owner of my jeep put on a flowmaster, it just sounds like a camry with an exhaust leak. it's going away as soon as i figure out how i have to route the exhaust to clear the 4 link.

Sadly I agree. I haven't heard a good I6. Maybe a e36 M3 (BMW) but that is the only one I can think of.

But I think adding a winch toughens it up a bit.

Correct. If it left the factory with any emissions device, then such devices must be maintained if it is to be operated on public roadways.

What if it is a grey market car and it was fitted with an emissions device after it left the factory?

The Supra 3.0 is a I6, it sounds bad ass. Leave it looking soccer mom like, just do an LS1 swap, then smoke mommy (and daddy in moms minivan).

Back