• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to make a lift from other parts?

jeffasher1988 said:
i need something cheap like real cheap.
1.75" spacers-$40
used xj leaf packs for main leaf-$20-$30
ubolts and centerpins$35
so for $100 u can get a good 1.75" lift, thats with new ubolts and center pins wich you would need anyways

I bought http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep...41121407QQihZ003QQitemZ130041121407QQtcZphoto

that kit off ebay several months ago. Kept the factory isolators up front, kit went together in a weekend, settled out to 3.5"

I don't think you can beat 3" of lift spacers and leaves w/ centering pins for under $100 for new parts.

If you want to do it as cheap as is possible, stay at 2"

I was aiming for 3 and crossed the line a bit, my LCAs are too short, I made drop brackets for and bent the brake hardlines, I ended up giving a 3/4' t-case drop a shot and it helped a lot with the driveshaft vibes I'd been getting.

The point is that I intended to do a BB to give me some more clearance in the snow and in rock gardens on the forest service roads, I ended up getting into problems that will take about as much effort to resolve at 3.5" as they would have at 5"

But, unlike a lot of the people here who will tell you to hold off and do it right, I say go for it and just know that you'll have certain compromises in performance as you piece things together - that is just the nature of modifying your DD. I didn't have the funds to go to 5 or 6" when I started, and both the spacers and AALs that I have now will be combined with the next steps I take (new coils and spring packs) to give me a good overall lift.

Go with a 2" spacer and AAL kit, if you're older body style you can fit 31's with no lift if you trim the fenders, so if you lift it 2", trim and go to bigger tires I wouldn't imagine you'll get any rub.

Get new shocks eventually, but if you need to you can get 2" of extensions for the front and use your old rear swaybar links to make BPE's in the rear and get a little bit more length out of those. You can get by for a while on that, but you won't get all the flex out of your suspension.

That will get you rolling and the install will get you familiar with the cast of characters who are going to be giving you a hassle when you take it to the next level (driveline angles, control arm angles, steering alignment). Now look for some used lift coils and figure out something to add to those old packs with the one AAL. Quadratec has the xj upcountry spring packs for something like $60 a side, you could throw your old AAL and an s-10 spring into those packs and end up around 5" for super cheap...

i have a question regarding this topic,i saw a cherokee in the january JP in the wheelin' in new hamshire article and the caption states that the rear springs are s-10 pieces.if so would there be any mods needed to the pack itself to fit?

Last edited:
Im a college student too. What I did for a CHEAP lift was get some 1978 Ford F150 coil springs. (Then again, I'm now running ~7in and 35's)

For the rear I took a one ton spring from a 1970's Chevy truck.

You can shop around and find coil spring spacers as well. I bought some a year ago used for $30.

A 2inch block from Jeg's WITH U-bolts is $23.

In some form or another, you will have to spend money. If you do an add a leaf, you will need new U bolts and spring centering pins. In total, any way you go, you WILL have $50-$100 wrapped up. If you can't afford that, then theres no rush for you to lift your Jeep now, because you will be doing a shitty job. My $0.02.

for my rear 3.5" of lift i put in chevy leafs off of a 3/4 ton early 70's truck. i used the XJ main leaf and all the chevy leafs but the main leaf plus some 3 degree shims and 1/4" block (block sounds lame, i know, but it was needed for the 3.5" of lift). im still running stock length shocks because i used some metal laying aorund to weld together mount extensions/BPEs. for the front i bought rustys 3" lift coils for $99. once it was all said and done i had about $145 in a 3.5" lift. im in high school and im about as cheap as can be. remove the rear sway bar and put together some front sway bar disconnects from parts from tractor supply and your good to go.

Jeeps aren't cheap. I suggest getting another hobby until you are out of college, or just leave your Jeep alone and get some good mud tires and learn to drive like a son of a bitch.

barillms said:
Jeeps aren't cheap. I suggest getting another hobby until you are out of college, or just leave your Jeep alone and get some good mud tires and learn to drive like a son of a bitch.

x2

If you cant afford to buy a lift kit, what are you gonna do when you bust out some windows, hydrolock youe engine, smash your gas tank etc.

Get a stock gas tank skid, a used after market or stock transfer case skid, and save up for some JCR rock rails or make your own. These 3 are more needed than a lift. Nice new tires and a locker would be better for you anyways your not going anywhere crazy with 2" - 3 " lift that a stocker with a locker cant go.

I say go pick n pull part yard grabbing on your limited budget, get some patience so you can wait a few months to complete it.

Put some money away, and any real money you should buy some skids so if this jeep is your daily driver you need to get to work or class, you are not fired or fail out of school.

theres a good junkyard parts thread on here if you search, list of great stuff like electric fan, tranny cooler, stronger tube arms from a grand cherokee etc.

If your gonna get a junk yard coil swap do the Grand cherokee ones, NOT the F' series coils.

First thing to do would be to make some quick disconnects for the front swaybar and trash the rear one completely(if your jeep came with one from the factory).
Throw some tow hooks on there and buy a tow strap.

Next thing would be to wheel it, and have fun doing it.

Forget about mods, forget about looking cool in a lifted jeep..just wheel it stock and wait for things to break. If you don't hardly have any money to lift it, your not going to have ANY money when it breaks down, then you'll be shit outta luck and you'll be stuck catching the bus to school, wooo lotsa fun!
Stock parts wear out. Your better off to have stuff break and replace it with newer/stronger parts while you learn how the truck responds in different situations and know how to fix your rig yourself than to have a cheap lift that you won't be happy with in a few months anyways.

IF you still think that you need a cheap lift that you'll want to get rid of within a few months anyways, then by all means do a search and read the millions of posts that have answered your question, then take action.

I just took 2 spring packs from my old xj, i cut the eyes off and cleaned em up with the wire brush.

How many and which leafs should I add to achieve about 2 inchs more in the rear.

93_xj said:
I just took 2 spring packs from my old xj, i cut the eyes off and cleaned em up with the wire brush.

How many and which leafs should I add to achieve about 2 inchs more in the rear.

Probably the top two. The top one alone won't quite get you there. I suppose you could end up with slightly more than 2" this way.

am i just following the same steps basically as detailed in the 11 dollar bastard pack?

also, where can i get new clips to put on the leafs because i cut the old ones off to get the old pack apart.

93_xj said:
am i just following the same steps basically as detailed in the 11 dollar bastard pack?

also, where can i get new clips to put on the leafs because i cut the old ones off to get the old pack apart.

sounds like you shouldn't be lifting it at all. what if you break something wheeling? If you can't afford a few hundred for a decent lift, then you probably can't afford to break the jeep either. What about tires? Yes lifting is benefical but is best when done in conjunction with a larger, more aggressive tire. Maybe you should just put some decent 235's on there and wheel it. If you go much higher than 2-3 you run the risk of vibes, costing you more money. Opinions vary, but more than 3-4 your control arms start getting steep. Brake lines can usually be lowered/relocated, so that should be ok.

Im not trying to be a jerk, really. Im just making a point that wasn't brought up. Lifting can be done on a budget, but 'budget' is a relative term. Budget doesn't always mean cheap, its just more reasonable compaired to a full kit with all options.

A budget boost (spacers, rear add-a, shocks) is probably the best for what you want to do, and what you can afford. If you have the time and energy, the homegrown boosts can be done cheap and safe.

Back