• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how to identify a Chrysler rear end?

jeepinrob

NAXJA Forum User
I have a pretty good idea what a Dana 35 looks like but do any of you have a pic of the Chrysler 8.25" rear axle? (pretty sure that's the ring gear size). My wife and I want to buy an XJ and I want to make sure we get one with the Chrysler axle, not the D35.
Thanks!

I can tell by looking at it. The Dana is round and the Chrysler has "V" look or more like a pentagon and my friend J says a diamond but the Dana's are smooth and round>

The Chrysler axle should have a tag on the right side of the axle next to the u bolts.

Both the Dana 35 and the Mopar 8.25 have an oval rear diff cover. However, on the 8.25 the housing itself is more trapezoidal on the bottom, with a VERY distinct and obvious flat that's about 6" to 8" wide running along under the cover.

the 8.25 has a little lip that runs around the hole cover, the Dana is flat around the edge of the cover. also i believe the 8.25 has 3" tubes and the D35 is has like 2 3/4" tubes.

Eric

You can also look at the outer ends of the axle shafts. Danas (or at least most of them) have an indentation that looks kind of like an hourglass or figure 8. Chryslers have an indentation with two parallel sides and the other two rounded.

i looked under my XJ a white sticker on the right side at the backing plate said 8.25 Jeep 3.55 open carrier.

so do i have a dana 44 with a locker? :laugh2:

mines got a little crysler emblem stamped into the bottome of the pinion housing i think its on the passenger side..fyi

& i've been teld that 96+ xj s w/ 8-1/4s have a couple more splines per axle shaft = stronger :)

Back