• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much does the hood weigh?

JeepFreak21 said:
I thought for sure I could find the answer through search or google, but came up with nothing, so..... does anybody have an idea of what a Cherokee hood weighs? Mine's a 95 if you wanna be precise :)
Thanks,
Billy

If I had to guess, I'd say approx 30#. YMMV

It weighs 35 lbs. I know that as had my induction hood sent over to Australia!

Well, according to my bathroom scale - 38 lbs. (And it really was a b**ch getting the hood into the bathroom!)

Anyway, this was off an '88 - no insulation.

Mike in NJ :patriot:

Mike in NJ said:
Well, according to my bathroom scale - 38 lbs. (And it really was a b**ch getting the hood into the bathroom!)

Now, THAT'S dedication.

verrive said:
Wouldn't it have just been easier to take the scale to the hood instead? :p
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!.....You're kidding?? right???

verrive said:
Wouldn't it have just been easier to take the scale to the hood instead? :p

Well, on a scale of 1 to 38....

JeepFreak21 said:
You rock! Thanks man!

Billy

PS - I hope you didn't have to unbolt it from the jeep and everything :D

Well, if not, no wonder it was hard to get into the bathroom...
Finally, a lifted jeep that corners well!

Mike in NJ said:

What color paint was it & how many coats? Metallic finishes weigh a bit more... :dunce:

woody said:
What color paint was it & how many coats? Metallic finishes weigh a bit more... :dunce:

Colorado Red - Clearcoated. More weighty than Firecracker Red.

I figured the "toilet" humor would provoke some comment, but, I had no idea . . . . . :D (The internet is SO entertaining . . . ).

Actually, I had another idea - thought I would tow the wreck down to the truck stop scales, get a reading, remove the hood . . . . .

And Billy . . . what the heck did you want this statistic for? Trying to cut down on sprung weight? (just put some helium balloons in the back!)

Mike in NJ said:
And Billy . . . what the heck did you want this statistic for? Trying to cut down on sprung weight?

Exactly! I wanted to know how much weight I'm going to be saving with my carbon fiber hood, and now I know to paint it firecracker red instead of colorado red! :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

No, really I'm adding some gas shocks for the bling bling factor. Which brings me to my next question... do I need a little over 40 pounds, a little under 40 pounds and do you add the weight of both sides (ie. 20 pound struts on each side)?
Thanks,
Billy

Mike in NJ said:

I can already picture this conversation and I'd love to be there to witness it:
"What the hell do you think you're doing??"
"Well, honey.... a friend of mine clear across the country was wondering how much the hood weighs so I figured I'd be a good buddy and weight it for him. Sorry about the scratches and gouges in the walls as I tried to make the turns in the hallway"
"SMAAAAAAAAAAAAACK"

:D

JeepFreak21 said:
The induction hood wasn't fiberglass or anything?
Thanks,
Billy

Mine was steel but the fibreglass ones from Usbody weigh exactly the same! More once you add the filler needed to make them smooth enough to paint and line up.

I bought a fiberglass hood from Jeepspeed. It weighs 21lbs and I cut out 2 holes to put in cowls from Summit racing. I removed the hood and all of the related hardware and put in 4 hood pins so the thing come all the way off when I need to work. The total weight savings as about 40lbs so for $200 for the hood and 50 for the cowls it is not really worth it. but a fiberglass hood is sweet, and now the cooling effect will be much better than before.

JeepFreak21 said:
I thought for sure I could find the answer through search or google, but came up with nothing, so..... does anybody have an idea of what a Cherokee hood weighs? Mine's a 95 if you wanna be precise :)
Thanks,
Billy
Hello Jon Reese! My name is Amy. I am the Parts and Accessories Rep for the Jeep Warehouse. You recently inquired about the weight of a hood for the 1995 Jeep Cherokee. The hood weighs 51 lbs. (At least, that's what my Chrysler Computer tells me.) Thank you for your inquiry!

Sincerely,

Amy ([email protected])
Jeep Warehouse Parts and Accessories Rep

(Dunno if that includes hinges, latches and bird droppings, or not, but that's the answer I got.)

Back