• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How many cans of Fix-a-flat?

XJ Eric

NAXJA Forum User
OK, SO my spare tire won't hold air. I can't find the hole.

I've done the soapy water trick and nobody around here has a tub deep enough to submerge a 35 inch Wrangler MT.
The air valve doesn't seem to leak either. None of the tire shops around here will put a inner tube in it. This tire is nearly brand new and I can't afford to just throw it away.

SO, how many cans of fix a flat do I need for a 35 inch tire with a mystery leak?

check your valve stem. or have the tire taken off and clean the rim and tire lip. see if that helps.

Fix a flat doesnt "fix" shit.

Start on the outside and work in. Check the rubber valve stem as well as the valve CORE. If you are airing up/down your tires those valves can get dirty and stick releasing pressure. ive seen valve caps holding the air in and slowly leaking it out with no core.

Tubes arent allowed in tires on the road anymore.

the bead is usually a good source for leaks.

What psi are you at while checking for leaks?

I 've tried at 15, 30, and 60 lbs of pressure. I've put water in and around the valve stem and there's no bubbles coming up. I'm getting nothing.

are ya wiggling it around? sounds dumb but on the side of the fat part of stem is usually where they leak if it isnt from the core itself.

Might be time to fill your tub. put tire in at pressure you have had it at when losing air. rotate the tire like it is rolling on the ground. roll slowly being sure to check both sides for leaks as well as keep lip/bead submerged. You dont neccessarily need soap in there since air will be bubbles coming out. Keep eye out for strands of tiny bubbles not just large ones

We just used a squirt bottle with soapy water.

I'll try to convince the wife to let me put it in the tub one more time. Going wheelin the weekend so I'd REALLY like to have a spare tire for the day.

Get a big floor brush, and make a bucket of soapy water. The bubbles are a lot easier to spot with the soap.

For the weekend, you can try smearing some dawn dish soap all around the INSIDE of the tire. A good friend of mine does this on his drag car slicks, and swears without it, they leak down in a few days, with it, it takes a few weeks.

Put the thing on your Jeep, put 50psi of air in it and pull forward a little at a time.

I have a tire that leaks but only when it has weight sitting on it a certain way...

I'd take the tire completely off the rim, inspect everything, put it back on with a new valve stem and go from there.

WOW! Headline news! 35" tires came OEM from Jeep on a XJ!

I know you feel so great about mentioning that this doesnt belong in oem tech, but your wrong. The question has nothing to do with the tire being a 35", and the question and answers would be the same if it were a stocker...

So get over it...

2+ peice wheels, ie where the center section bolts to the rim section, are not the same as split rim wheels. It also has nothing to do with fancy ghetto fabulosity... and dont start the retarded argument that any wheel over 17" becomes ghetto fabulous...

http://www.lowenhart.co.jp/en/brand/lowenhart/gallery/barlett_f802/l_box10.jpg

I sold some split rims last year, guy had no trouble getting tires, but they were for a pickup, I dont remember the size, either 16 or 16.5, yes normal style split with locking ring.

as for tubes? guess most motorcycles cant get new tires? most bikes I have been around use tubes.

I know you feel so great about mentioning that this doesnt belong in oem tech, but your wrong. The question has nothing to do with the tire being a 35", and the question and answers would be the same if it were a stocker...

So get over it...

Get over your own bad-self ice hole. What a buzz kill :dunce:

Sorry folks...

Say, since this is obviously NOT an OEM tire :D And is probably off-roaded...
Perhaps there is crud stuck in the bead. I had a set of 33's that would air down all the time, and that was it. Break down the tire bead with a High-lift and looks for sticks, mud... you know, crud.

Last edited:
Back