• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How hard is the switch from 2wd to 4wd on a 94 XJ?

VisualOddity

NAXJA Forum User
I am choosing between an 86 Command-Trac 4x4 XJ in pretty good condition, and a same condition 94 2WD V6 XJ... Now, I will not have a lot of money to do this, and have no idea how lol, but WILL have 4wd in the end, so if it's better to go w/ the one that already does, great!
cool.gif

The 94 is nice, nothing special. Just stock...
The 86 is 4x4, and has a recently rebuilt motor/tranny. The motor still has some sort of a warranty as well. Other than the motor (and one being 4wd), what are the differences between the 86's and 94's?

If money is an issue, I'd go with the 86. Less headache (converting to 4WD). Are they both 6 cyl? The 94 will have the 4.0 HO. Not sure what motor is in the 86.

The '86 would either be a 4-cyl or the GM 2.8 V-6, which is a POS. Hold out for what you really want, a '87 or newer 4wd I-6 model, they are all over the place.

From all Ive heard converting to 4x4 is not at all practical -- maybe that helps the decision.
There were no v6's in 94 BTW. Sucks making that kind of decision in hurry..

I too had a 94xj that was 2wd....After a while of searching for the right jeep i scored a 93 xj with a bad motor but working otherwise. I purchased it for 570$ took what i needed, sold some parts on ebay made around 400$, salvaged the rest of the jeep and had 4x4 on my 94. It took about a week, woringn a bit everyday with a buddy.
The point is its not hard as long as you got help and are mechanically inclined a bit.

Pete

jeepsrock said:
I too had a 94xj that was 2wd....After a while of searching for the right jeep i scored a 93 xj with a bad motor but working otherwise. I purchased it for 570$ took what i needed, sold some parts on ebay made around 400$, salvaged the rest of the jeep and had 4x4 on my 94. It took about a week, woringn a bit everyday with a buddy.
The point is its not hard as long as you got help and are mechanically inclined a bit.

Pete

Yea, it also helps big time if you have them sitting next to each other as you make the switchover. Then you have ALL the parts right there. A friend of my sons is doing his but he's pieceing it together so it's taking some time as he locates parts.

gjxj said:
From all Ive heard converting to 4x4 is not at all practical -- maybe that helps the decision.
There were no v6's in 94 BTW. Sucks making that kind of decision in hurry..

It's really just a plug-and-play operation....everything bolts right in. You can do it on the cheap too, if you take your time gathering parts (like I did and Rich's friend is doing)

Jeff

Finished this switchover about 3 weeks ago. Get some air tools and torch and you will be back on the road fast It took us 4 days to do his. Would have been done sooner but he wanted a lift and gearing. The shop he sent the difs to was slow in getting them back. Plus when the engine/tranny is out this is a good time to do a H&T or any other mods. LUCK

badron said:
Finished this switchover about 3 weeks ago. Get some air tools and torch and you will be back on the road fast It took us 4 days to do his. Would have been done sooner but he wanted a lift and gearing. The shop he sent the difs to was slow in getting them back. Plus when the engine/tranny is out this is a good time to do a H&T or any other mods. LUCK
Why did you take the engine out?

Back