• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2WD/4WD linkage broken how to get into 2WD

Lou4130

NAXJA Forum User
So when changing the console braket in my 2001 XJ, moving the 2wd/4wd shifter seems to have broken or disconnected the linkage but it is stuck in 4wd (i think.. slow pic up and high rpm at 3000) I just need to get this back into 2wd so i can get to my new job starting on the 28th. I dont really use the 4WD anyways, but can fix it later. I was told you can move the linkage by going under the jeep and manully putting it into the 2WD position. I have very little knowledge of this type of thing so need all the help i can get! thanks !

I was told you can move the linkage by going under the jeep and manully putting it into the 2WD position. I have very little knowledge of this type of thing so need all the help i can get! thanks !
That is the correct answer!

That is the correct answer!
Awesome! i just dont know which way to move it, and how to move it. I had tried to move it by hand, but it wont budge...i also just thought maybe i should put it neutral? (i can put it up on jack stands)

If your in 4lo, then it's all the way in the other direction. For a 231 it's (2H-4H-N-4L).

it might be. I dont know for sure cuz i was just moving it to get the console off and wasn't paying attention :/ I think it is likely in 4lo cuz when i took it for a very short drive, the RPMs were at 3000 and it def sounded like a low gear. I just need to figure that out and i should be fine to at least drive it to work! i can fix the linkage later on. Its all kind of rusted and shot anyway. May be good to replace it.

Even if it's a np242 it's still on the complete opposite of end travel. Np242 (2H-4P-4F-N-4L)

I am back..ok, so transfer case is a 231, as i have 2H-4H-N-4L. I was able to move the tab on the transfer case one gear forward by hand, and when i move the shifter to line up as closely as possible it seems it would be in 4H , not 2WD. If i put the interior shifter all the way down into 2WD position, the linkage is off considerably, so this is why i am thinking its in 4H as that lines up the closest to the linkage . However i can line up the linkage by moving the interior shifter just slightly off (it has some play) and possibly get it reconnected. It is rusty though and i would likely need something to push it back in. Should i do that, or am i better off trying to get the transfer case tab to go the one more forward with a tool of some sort? I just dont want it to be all out of whack if i reattach it. I also dont want to try and move the transfer case tab forward and damage something if by chance it IS in 2WD now. It shifted fairly easily that one gear, i'd assume it should move with the same pressure to get it into 2WD assuming its not? I just don't want to break anything and not be able to get it into 2WD by tuesday next week! Also this is an automatic trans if that matters in how i got about it. Should it be in Neutral?

Scratch that, it is not in 4H, it is in Neutral. Cuz if i put it in drive or reverse i get nothing. So i need to move it 2 more forward.

i was able to push the transfer case tab forward with some leverage with a hammer and it is now back in 2WD! thanks for all the help!

I recommend aftermarket shifter linkage. I am running Boostwerks' version. I believe Azzy's Design has another version.

Back