• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How does this scam work?

HaleYes

NAXJA Forum User
Just for the heck of it, I replied to this CL ad;
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/car/616160879.html

Truck Scammer said:
The car is already at the shipping company in Detroit, Michigan sealed and ready for the shipping. I have a contract with eBay so this deal must go through them. I'm very busy with my job and I'm left out of the town so I can't meet in person with you so this is the reason why I chose to sell my car over the internet. According with the eBay you have 5 days from the time you receive the car to inspect it and decide if you want to keep it or not.
Here is how it will work:
1.First of all I will need the following details from you:
- Full Name
- Full Shipping Address
After I will receive the details from you, I will forward them to eBay.
After they will process your info, they will send us both invoices. The invoice
will send you the details on how to make a refundable payment.
eBay will contact me and I will ship the car to you. After you receive the car
you will have 5 days to test, verify and do whatever you need to the car. If you
will buy, then I will receive the payment details from eBay so that I can pick up
the money.If you will decide that you will not buy the car, eBay will refund the money and I will have the shipping company come pick up my car. If you wish to make the transaction, please send me the necessary info so that we can proceed. I look
forward to hear from you.
Thank you

She insists that I pay through Ebay. I'm 110% that this is some sort of scam( I thought that from the get-go), I just don't see how they make their money. I'm just curious.

Hale

already flagged and removed

it works because most people aren't smart enough to check the bottom of their browser for a secured site logo, they make a phony replica ebay site and do it that way

you can always tell a scam by the way they write in translated english like "the ebay" and "if you will buy"

I can't imaging people being that much of a tard to fall for it. That's alot of money to pass over the net(it is for this poor boy anyway). You'd think that people would be more cautious than that.:rolleyes:
The title on CL should just be Click here for scam". It's just about that blatent.

I guess I'm just the cautious type, I've bought from autotrader.com and craigslist.com, both vehicles I eyeballed and test drove first. I figure if I'm putting out $3K or more it is worth the 2 or 4 hour drive and handle the transaction in person.

RichP said:
I guess I'm just the cautious type, I've bought from autotrader.com and craigslist.com, both vehicles I eyeballed and test drove first. I figure if I'm putting out $3K or more it is worth the 2 or 4 hour drive and handle the transaction in person.

Exactly!.

I told this joker I needed the name and addy of the shipping company cause I was headed to Detroit. I haven't heard back.:laugh3:

Back