• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How can I prevent my rock rails from constantly rusting?

I used an etch primer on mine before painting with imitation Rhinoliner on one side, and rubberised undercoating on the other (for comparison). Both sides have taken a beating, both sides flaking off (NJ wheeling, PA rocks), BUT no rust . The etch primer has kept everything off the metal. Good stuff!

Strip it all down to metal and get some ZINC prinmer on there. Anything ells is just dosen't stop rust it just tryes (and fails) to keep the water off. With zinc bear metal from a scratch or rock will not rust.

Just rub them on more trees & rocks. It will keep them nice & shiney. JIM.

My Tomken rockers did the same thing. Didn't even make it through their first winter. I ended up sanding them down and coating them in duplicolor bed liner. Thats worked fine for 6 years. They are in need of the same process again. If I had the money I would have them coated in LineX.

X3 on the POR-15. I painted my rails with about 3 years ago, and while still tacky, top coated with rustoleum hammered. I have never repainted them, except for a few touch ups from rocks. they have never rusted, and even when the rustoleum comes off, the POR-15 is still underneath. Same deal with my front and rear bumpers.

Back