• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hope my house is still around tomorrow

Hendrix, any word from your parents about yours and your GF's house?

its burning up through rattlesnake canyon i'm my gf lives towards the bottom. if the fire moves towards tunnel road i'm toast. other than that i don't know much. two of my good friends have already lost their homes and a couple other are in big time danger...

Well, I'm in a real smokey situation.
I'm OK so far, on the east edge of the fire, three houses over from the mandatory evacuation line.
Late afternoon Thursday it started above my home, and the wind drove it away from us towards town. About a half hour in, the power went out, everywhere, the whole town. I was at work waiting for one of the owner's partners to arrive with his family, evacuating from their burning house. Then my cellphone battery died with the charger at home, of course. So the whole phone system's down at work, and the wife's not answering the home phone or her cell when I could bum a call off passerbys.
Finally the partners arrive and I can head home, through a grid-locked town due to the power outages (it's amazing how if people don't see red, they assume a signal is green, even though with the power outage it's nothing)
I have to talk my way through barricades to get home, wife's in a panic loading the cars, in the dark. I remind her there's a flashlight in each Jeep.
Now the dilemma is, if we leave, they won't let us back in. So we sit it out and wait, listening to the news and eating dinner by our inverter power (the power goes off so often here, I have a permanent set of batteries and inverter, charging all the time, to fall back on)
It's a long night. A fire crew saves my dad's house near town.
This morning the fire is below us a couple of blocks, and above us, in the mountains, but the winds are calm for now. I'm watching friends I grew up with, on the news, talking about loosing their homes.
The water's dangerously low from all the copter drops emptying our reservoirs, so I can't wet the house down.
The big DC10's are now flying over though, making the big drops, and my blood preasure is coming down some.
Tonight when the sundowners start up again will be the next test as to whether we make it.

Well, I'm in a real smokey situation.
I'm OK so far, on the east edge of the fire, three houses over from the mandatory evacuation line.
Late afternoon Thursday it started above my home, and the wind drove it away from us towards town. About a half hour in, the power went out, everywhere, the whole town. I was at work waiting for one of the owner's partners to arrive with his family, evacuating from their burning house. Then my cellphone battery died with the charger at home, of course. So the whole phone system's down at work, and the wife's not answering the home phone or her cell when I could bum a call off passerbys.
Finally the partners arrive and I can head home, through a grid-locked town due to the power outages (it's amazing how if people don't see red, they assume a signal is green, even though with the power outage it's nothing)
I have to talk my way through barricades to get home, wife's in a panic loading the cars, in the dark. I remind her there's a flashlight in each Jeep.
Now the dilemma is, if we leave, they won't let us back in. So we sit it out and wait, listening to the news and eating dinner by our inverter power (the power goes off so often here, I have a permanent set of batteries and inverter, charging all the time, to fall back on)
It's a long night. A fire crew saves my dad's house near town.
This morning the fire is below us a couple of blocks, and above us, in the mountains, but the winds are calm for now. I'm watching friends I grew up with, on the news, talking about loosing their homes.
The water's dangerously low from all the copter drops emptying our reservoirs, so I can't wet the house down.
The big DC10's are now flying over though, making the big drops, and my blood preasure is coming down some.
Tonight when the sundowners start up again will be the next test as to whether we make it.
i thought you were in the clear. best of luck...

Back