• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Holy Cross 19,20,21

Chad, do you know if you are going to try and camp up there? If yes, there is no point in you backtracking to meet at the bridge, might as well just meet at the trailhead.

It's a good idea to air down some before you get tot he trailhead though, as Homestake Road gets a lot of washboard, and can be teeth rattling if you don't. I mentioned the bridge because we have used that as a meeting/air down place before.

Once you turn off Hwy 24 onto Homestake road, it's about 7 miles to the trailhead. (on the right side of the road) If you get to the Missouri lakes road (on your right), you went just a bit too far.

Here are some Google Earth Images to help:
homestakeentry.jpg

HomestakeRoad.jpg

Trailhead.jpg

Chad, do you know if you are going to try and camp up there? If yes, there is no point in you backtracking to meet at the bridge, might as well just meet at the trailhead.

It's a good idea to air down some before you get tot he trailhead though, as Homestake Road gets a lot of washboard, and can be teeth rattling if you don't. I mentioned the bridge because we have used that as a meeting/air down place before.

Once you turn off Hwy 24 onto Homestake road, it's about 7 miles to the trailhead. (on the right side of the road) If you get to the Missouri lakes road (on your right), you went just a bit too far.

Yep Im staying up there with Ben, my brother and maybe a guy from my bros patrol. Thanks for the maps. that should help atleast a little. You guys cool with hitting the trail about 10?

Sure, 10 will work. It may be 7 or later by the time we get out of there.

So 10 at the trailhead then? My number is 970-three three one-2568. Give a shout if anything comes up. I will plan on leaving home by 9am.

Ok so plan is we wana be on the trail before 10. So be at the trail head at like 9:45. WE ARE MEETING AT THE TRAILHEAD OF HOLY CROSS AT 9:45. Everyone got that? We are going to be on the trail by 10. If you not there then you will be left behind. As there is going to be alot of traffic and we wana get heading up before all the others. Me, Ben, My brother, and a buddy are camping some place near by the trail head. Im going to try and find a spot close to the trail head where we all can meet up and head out. So keep yours eyes open for my jeep, gray XJ, green TJ and black JK.

I will be at the trailhead by 9:45 at latest unless I see the mentioned rigs on the way up. See you guys then.

Chad, you know what my Jeep looks like, but for anyone else I have a white XJ with black front fenders.

-Jason

Its gonna be fun for sure wish I could run my rig. Chad-do you have room in your rig on sat for me? Even though I cant take mine I still really wanna go wheelin! Ill be camera man lol and a good co-pilot run winch...etc

Its gonna be fun for sure wish I could run my rig. Chad-do you have room in your rig on sat for me? Even though I cant take mine I still really wanna go wheelin! Ill be camera man lol and a good co-pilot run winch...etc

Or any rig..dont care just wana see the trail

Ya! Ill ride with. Can a subaru get to the trail head or should we meet somewhere on pavement?

A subaru can get to the trail head just fine. It's just a dirt/gravel forest service road. I have taken the wrx up there many times to go hiking.

Well me and ben are geting ready to head out and find camp up there. If you guys need anything text me - 303-681-8927. Other wise we shell see you guys in the morning for on hell of a ride i hope :D

after reading co4x4 sounds like there are gonna be 20+ rigs up there not including us... gonna bring some snacks and video camera...

Ok sounds good. I've never been there, the trailhead is after the bridge?

The trailhead is about 9 miles from the start of Homestake Road. From traildamage.com:

"Take I-70 to exit 171 marked U.S. 24. (Take Hwy 24 south. You will go through Minturn, up and over Battle Mountain and will go past Redcliff)) Just after the Hornsilver Campground turn right on 703. You will see signs to Blodgett Campground and Homestake Reservoir. The trail is about 9 miles down 703 on the right marked FS 759. It is just past the Gold Park Forest Service Campground.

Alternatively, you can drive north from Leadville on U.S. 24 past Camp Hale. Turn left on 703 just past some switchbacks."

Back