• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

high clearance gas tank mod

The bottom of the XJ is curved so the gas tank fits in it like a cradle. I 'm thinking it would be difficult to get the tank strapped down 100% solid to prevent it from moving. Even a little bit over time could wear a hole thru. People have worn holes thru tanks from having deris between the tank and skid. Also I wonder how well it would stay in place of a roll over.

If thats really where you want it invest in a fuel cell.

if you can't invest in a cell make a template of the tank curves, transfer that to some wood product of your choice, cut it out bolt it to the floor.
This wiil get the tank off the cargo floor avoiding grit etc. making a cradle for the tank to sit in... plumbing strap to bolt the tank in place, or some turn buckles possibly, if you want to stay cheap

oh yeah your hitch still hangs down below where your tank was anyway so I do not see where it helped you in clearance
I know because I have the same hitch and it always takes the hit before the tank does( I do also have a tank skid too)

MrMom said:
oh yeah your hitch still hangs down below where your tank was anyway so I do not see where it helped you in clearance
I know because I have the same hitch and it always takes the hit before the tank does( I do also have a tank skid too)

I was thinking the same thing in reading this whole thread.

Hey,

you guys may be right about the tank not being totally secure, and although i try to build on a budget, this jeep is about $6grand over budget anyways with ARB, detroit, etc.....so i have started shopping around for fuel cells and i need a little advice...

i like this one, it has mounting straps avail, but it has no sender...when they say sender are they talking about for the fuel guage or the actual pump that pumps fuel to the engine?

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...0+4294839036+1005+4294920243+115&autoview=sku

edit: would you guys go for a steel cell rather than plastic?

MrMom said:

i never claimed an improved departure angle...but the tank does, in fact, hang lower than the hitch, i bet your skid has scratches on it, thats because when dropping off a ledge, there is nothing but your tank to land on....my tank was battered and beaten.... here is an old upskirt pic showing the tank being lower although its somewhat good condition in that pic....

DSC000521-1.jpg

-Tim

I used the factory skid and straps to hold mine in. I bult a framework to hold the skid above the floor slightly and used the straps across the top to hold it down. It's worked good so far.

Here is an old pic. I used some scrap steel to make some hooks for the straps on one side and built a bracket to re-use the threaded rod on the other.

1000292xv9.jpg

1000480fg8.jpg

It does take up a bit of room so I bolted down a Delta workbox to hold recovery gear and tools. I can also stack a few totes on top of the tank if needed.

1000943qm8.jpg

I would like to run a fuel cell, Summit has a long, tall but narrow cell that would fit really good in the back and give me some more room. I might get around to it eventualy but this has worked well for me.

The only thing I want to do is extend the fill tube and get a different end on it so I don't spill gas in the back area.

barillms said:
SO eager to bash constantly... Slow down and READ MY FRIEND, R E A D. Its good for you.
I swear, some of you guys suck bad.
shrug, i read it through a few times... not funny or relevant.

good point about the slight gas spillage on fill-ups JMOP

jmop said:
I used the factory skid and straps to hold mine in. I bult a framework to hold the skid above the floor slightly and used the straps across the top to hold it down. It's worked good so far.

Here is an old pic. I used some scrap steel to make some hooks for the straps on one side and built a bracket to re-use the threaded rod on the other.

The only thing I want to do is extend the fill tube and get a different end on it so I don't spill gas in the back area.

Thanks for the pics Jmop, that method would work well to hold down the tank... i kept the stock fill neck on mine, and it extends to the edge of the bed, so its in a good location for me.

-Tim

Safety's overated...LOL...Though now I have an idea for some low budget 5-point harnesses...Walmart sells them in 4-packs...LOL

Back