• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help I broke my Jeep



:cry: I have a 1987 Jeep Cherokee Chief with a 3 inch lift and some minor mods. I love my Jeep and would not trade it for any other car on the road. About three weeks ago I trashed my New Process 242 transfer case (smoke and everything) and have found it Impossable to locate a replacement in any condition. If anyone can help me I would be forever in your debit. P.S. I'm poor. Help... Thanks, Neil My e-mail is [email protected] and my phone number is (559) 307-3433
Ditch the 242 in favor of a 231. They are cheap and plentiful, and bolt right in with no modification. You will lose the full time 4wd, but did you really ever use it? Be sure to yank the 242 first to check the spline count on the t'case input shaft, I should be either 21 or 23 splines. 231's come in both flavors, so it will be easy to find the one that you need. Should you come up with a 231 with the wrong input, give a yell, I can tell you how to switch the input shafts.

Where have you looked? It sounds like your down here in my neck of the woods, it's the same area code at least. I agree with CRASH, go for the 231. It would be easier to find & shouldn't be very difficult to swap over. A couple of suggestions for places to look would be the different 4x shops in Fresno including Fresno 4 wheel drive, Deny's 4x4, or Medford & Hood down in Tulare. Another would be Whitikers 4x4 heaven in Madera, but he seems to be very proud of his parts. I bet with a little searching you could find that 242 even.