• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help!! Death Wobble

01greenxjsport

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i just swapped in a waggy d44 into my comanche and now i have terrible death wobble and i have replaced all tie rod ends ball joints wheel bearings and all my control arm bushings are good. ive checked the trackbar and its tight and in good shape the alignment is good i have a high steer setup on it and just put a waggy pitman arm on the box to make the drag link and trackbar parallel. at this point im completely lost. i have everythin for hydro assist except a ram would this fix it or what else should i try?

Bad tires or if the alignment isn't right can also cause dw.

bent wheels? frame side trackbar bracket tight?

wheels are brand new trackbar is tight all around alignment is good the tires are 37" military take offs but i have the 2 best on the front

Check the holes that the control arm bushing bolts go through and make sure they are not egg'd out.

How old are those tires? Can you get me a serial number off of a tire.

They may look good but if they are getting old, they may be breaking down. Do they balance okay?

If everything mentioned above is good (track bar bushing, track bar bracket, tie rod ends, wheel bearings, control arms) then it's the tires.

Ed's right, they may "look" good but they may not be good, well at least for the front of a Jeep.

I ran 37" MTR's and I had DW issues also. I moved a rear tire to the front and that helped out but it never did go away 100%. A 37 is a monster and I know what it feels like to have the whole Jeep feel like it's gonna fall apart, it's not a comfortable feeling!

If you're planning on much highway driving, I'm not a fan of hydro assist. If it's mainly trail, absolutely, it can be a great modification.

I've never had hydro assist because I have always wanted to drive to the trails. I'm no expert but I think it takes more than just an average setup to be able to run on the road.

Maybe someone with more insight will chime in.

i know full hydro isnt good for the road but ive heard that hydro assist is fine on the road and it only takes away the feel of the road

well went ahead and got a new ram for the hydro assist since the last one was a dud installing it today after work hopefully this will stop it if not idk what my next step will be

FWIW I had a brand new set of 31" BFG All-terrains that I began to get DW 2 months after I got the tires. Thought there is no way it could be the tires but quite a few shops and pros told me it could be the tires were out of round. I did every DW fix you could think of. Rebuilt/upgraded nearly 90% of the front end and still couldn't get it to go away. Finally when the tires were getting a little close to being wore out 2 years later, I put them on my Comanche when I sold it because I wanted to keep the Mud-terrains and the DW went away 100%. And to this day 5 years later the Jeep hasn't DWed once and I went through those tires and now bumped up to a set of 33 KM2s. Like others said the tires may LOOK fine but they could have something up with them.

well that makes me feel more comfortable with my decision to trade my wheels and tires for a set of 35 in procomp xterrains

They will fit fine. 15" rims were stock on the Waggys/Grand Waggy's.

Back