• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP!!!!! Cherokeee wont start.

HOPPER said:
I got the old cps off after 2ft. of extensions a universial and a 11mm.
The new cps has a different plug. :doh: I guess theres a different p# for auto and manual. As far as compression my gauge will not thread into the plug holes. Its a cheapie. I dont know if i have spark anymore, I dont see why not. I dont have anyone to turn the key untill sat. Ill try it again tommorow.

Thanks, HOPPER

I asked ya if it had spark because if the crank sensor is not giving a signal to the ECM(computer) then it don't now "when" to tell the coil to fire the plug.......so i don't! Under stand, or did i confuse ya more.

Flash.

It's gotta be the crank position sensor surely? It is possible for a spark to be present by the timing out just enough for the engine to not catch (I know from bitter experience). If it is the cps then the computer at the dealer will tell you once and for all.

You can check for spark by pulling leads off one by one and holding them next to the block (wear rubber gloves just in xcase but all you should feel is a jolt), you'll see the spark jump as it turns over.

I thought I posted it had spark in a earlier post. I know its a lot to read through. Well after installing the cps it wouldnt start so I pulled all the plugs cleaned all the plugs, and blew out all the cylinders. It was hard starting cranking for a long time pedel wooded but it started. :rof: I shut it off and tryed again and again it was hard starting, WTF. After cranking for about
10 secs it started :passgas: so i let it run for a while then tryed again and it starts normaly but runs a little rough. What do you think new plugs and oil/filter?

Thanks for the input it was a big help.
HOPPER

Is any one else having trouble with this site. Its really slow opening pages.

Last edited:
HOPPER said:
I thought I posted it had spark in a earlier post. I know its a lot to read through. Well after installing the cps it wouldnt start so I pulled all the plugs cleaned all the plugs, and blew out all the cylinders. It was hard starting cranking for a long time pedel wooded but it started. :rof: I shut it off and tryed again and again it was hard starting, WTF. After cranking for about
10 secs it started :passgas: so i let it run for a while then tryed again and it starts normaly but runs a little rough. What do you think new plugs and oil/filter?
------------------------------------------------------------------------

GO BEAT ON IT LIKE YA STOLLDED IT!!!!!! after about a half hour of it the old XJ will remeber hose boss!!!!

change the oil first if it smells bad of fuel(Gas) before you get it real HOT........if the oil is not over full and isn't strong of gas run it, runnit hard!

It will come around and start acting like it should...........Glad to see ya finally got it:thumbup:

once ya have the eng up to temp and working for awhile the wet,plugs, o2 sensor and the cat:flame: will finally clean up! if ya don't, you will be replace sa more sensors becuse if ya don't burn it off it will carbon over and the sensor will fail!

Flash.

Back