• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP: $399 Neutral Safety Switch?

i failed inspection because my back up lights wouldnt work. got lucky, on a 5 speed it is only a back up switch that only cost 30$.

Allright! Check this out!

I replaced the NSS in my 88 wagoneer(xj) a week ago and it was a defective part from the factory! (pissed!) So instead of getting another one I opted to get my 239.00$ back and wire it straight with a toggle for the reverse lights. The problem is that when I started the heep up, it ran for about 5min and then just shut off by itself! It just went dead like I'd turned off the ignition or something! Its raining pretty hard here today so i'm trying to see if anyone who's bypassed their NSS has had this problem and if so what did the problem end up being?(don't feel like getting soaked today) Thanks for any help! :fuse:

I responded to a NSS post a while back and said that after I hot wired my switch the engine after a while would do this strange thing where it would idle fine, until I gave it gas, then it would stall as soon as I let off the gas. It just wouldn't idle. The solution for me was to unplug the battery and reset the computer. Then it would be fine again for a while. When I finnally replaced the switch the problem went away.

I may be the only one who ever had a problem, but my computer sure got confused about something I did.

Matt

no damage was done when I removed the defective switch. What I did was take the origanal switch and cut the plug end off. Then with the 5 wires, I connected the two black wires (grnd)and capped them together.The remaining wires are (2) yellowish tan color and (2) green w/white stiped wires. One of the yellow wires(y/w stripped) went to the reverse lights,this I found out through deductive wiring. I simply took the reverse lights wire and ran a lead into the cab area to a toggle w/separate grnd to the frame. The reverse lights wwork great and only when the ignition is turned on. The remaining wires(2grn/1yellow) were all capped together to complete the NSS curcuit. The thing started right up after that and ran smooth as silk for about 10min and shut off like I'd turned the ignition off and would not start again! I went to the computer plug on the drivers side of the engine compartment and unpluged the computer with the ignition on and pluged it back in and then cranked the engine,still nothing (no spark)! Really stumpped on this one, any help would be apricated. Thanks!

Back