• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Helmet Poll and Opinion........

sprngfldxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have been seeing more and more a trend to encourage the use of a helmet when 4x'ing, for safety from head injury.
What is the opinions out there of whether it is necessary or not?
Would you use one if not required and why?

I tend to agree with Burbon on this one. If I were in an open air/cab tube rig, I would probably think differently about it, but as far as in my XJ(s), I am not going to be wearing one anytime soon.

I'm a fan of the hair helmet

I am building a cut up m38 on 35s yadda yadda and I plan to wear some type of helmet during serious wheeling to keep from hitting my head on a tube during a roll or even a hard hit on a rock. in the XJ I will probably never wear a helmet just because I don't see there being much for me to hit my head on.

Chris

:explosion :explosion God protect us from the safety Nazis. Most of us have have roofs and use our seat belts, a helmet would be overkill unless you are going cliff diving in your Cherokee!

Just had to buy a helmet so I can go racing. A good idea for competition. I don't plan on wearing it wheeling.

My opinion on them for 4-wheeling? Darwin! If you are so tied up in doing some activity that you can't think about safety,(Gotta get up that rock no matter what! Aaaaaggg,... crash.)what was it the comedian says,...

"Here's yer sign!":D

The hardest hit I've ever taken was in a CJ-5,.... on the street. Went over a speed bump and about split my head open on the roll bar.(sitting in back, leaning forward:confused1 )

I've had three skull fractures, two serious. Lost about half my teeth, broken my jaw, have nerve damage in my face from another time.
Helmets have saved my bacon at least twice, and could have halved the other damage, if I'd been smart enough to be wearing one at the time.
Considering, I should probably wear a helmet 24/7. The older I get, the more I tend to play the percentages and give myself every chance to avoid catastrophe.
More of a why not, than why type thing. I've worn a helmet enough to where they don't bother me anymore at all. If somebody comments on my helmet, I just say to myself, I'm the one who has to suffer the pain and rehab, not the arsehole with the opinion.
Almost all of the serious damage happened when I was traveling at less than 40 MPH and under circumstances you wouldn't normally think a helmet was necessary.

Last edited:
I think as dumb as it may look, it is a very good idea in certain situations. In the event of a harder rollover where roof collapsing could occur, I think a well designed helmet around your skull would be cheap insurance against head injury or death. It may not be necessary just trail riding, but I think on extreme inclines or other sticky situations, it would be a nice addition. I know a lot of you guys point out the fact of seatbelts are there and that it's your fault if you hit your head, but to me that just seems like "tough guy" thing to say, anyway to protect yourself is overall worth it. Accidents do happen.

Last edited:
I'm going with the NHRA on this one. I know they are not 4WDs, but the concept is the same. No hemet under 14 seconds, in a full topped vehicle. Helmets are designed to absorb impact. "bumping your head" on a padded headliner doesn't count as impact, it's just annoying.

Off-Road the same idea applies. A light to medium modified vehicle, with a full structure and top will protect you fairly well from whatever the world throws at you at normal 4WD speeds.

If you are driving topless and doing wierd stuff, like competition rock crawling, or mudding competitions, have a highly modified vehicle, or are in a speed competition, I can see the need for a helmet.

On a MC, on or off-road, you bet.
Same with ATVs, caged or not.

I'd like to see these sources the OP is talking about. I haven't heard or seen anything from any of the Off-Road sources I watch, about helmet use.

Last edited:
There have been many tragic losses in the wheeling community this year, for stupid reasons. Most related to people not wearing seatbelts in situations where "nothing bad is gonna happen".

I usually don't wear a helmet while trail riding, but I'll always have at least the lap belt fastened on access roads, and anything beyond that, even a green trail, all 5 pts. fastened.

Yesterday we had a little local comp event with mandatory helmet usage, wasn't a big deal. I just used my motorcycle 1/2-shell.

n24800499_32571296_4655.jpg

^ also keeping thumbs & fingers on the outside of the wheel

n24800499_32571325_5096.jpg

Never hurts. I don't mind wearing it for comp stuff. For trail riding where I'm getting in and out a lot it's a little tight inside, so I usually don't, but probably should.

Back