• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HD 231 Shift Linkage (Auto Trans) from Boostwerks!

Finding fine thread all-thread has been impossible locally, a real pain. I ended up cutting 2 bolts and a tubular spacer and welded them to produce a rod with threads on both ends that is the correct length. Should get it installed tomorrow. I will say though, even though it was too short, shifting was unbelievably smooth and easy.

Many axle U Bolts are fine thread 7/16-1/2-9/16, you should be able to get a long enough piece off of one.

Is your trans mount in good shape? The supplied rod should be more than long enough.
Yeah its a perfect condition poly mount. It's definately not long enough.

No big deal though, I figured out a way to make it work. I built the correct length rod. With the original rod I had to have the lever in 2wd and the tc in 4hi to be able to connect it.

Last edited:
Stock crossmember? It's possible the poly mount is not as tall as stock. Considering the qty of kits we've sold without issue, it makes me think there is a variable that's missing.
So I went back and checked the instructions. Does the 242/ax-15/tranny drop kit use a shorter piece of all-thread?

I received the additional piece that you mount on the shift lever, obviously I didn't use that piece because I didn't need it. I got the kit as a gift for christmas, so who knows what my mom actually ordered.

So I posted a review of this a few months ago and I wanted to update it:

I am now using the Novak TC shift kit. Not because this BW kit is bad, but because I had to. My transfer case has been moved too far forward for this kit to work. The because Novak kit uses cables so the positioning of the shifters is irrelevant.

To the important stuff. In my opinion, the BW kit shifts better. It is more direct and has a more positive shift feel (it has no moving cables because it is obviously direct linkage). The novak kit does the same job but does feel more "loose". Also, the novak kit is 4.5x the price.

Neither kit is bad, both do the same job in different ways. Just wanted to give my first hand experience.

So I went back and checked the instructions. Does the 242/ax-15/tranny drop kit use a shorter piece of all-thread?

I received the additional piece that you mount on the shift lever, obviously I didn't use that piece because I didn't need it. I got the kit as a gift for christmas, so who knows what my mom actually ordered.

Ahh, that's where the issue is. I'd be willing to bet it was a manual kit instead of an auto. :thumbup:

Does the new Manual Transmission linkage work with a teraflex 4:1 case with the 2 lo option, mated to a AX-15 ?

I don't see why it wouldn't work, but it's definitely a combo that I don't have any experience with.

:thumbup:

Ok well if you think it will work ill probably order it for my buddy. Yeah I was just wondering since the 2lo option adds a 5th position to the lever.

Ordered a few weeks ago and got around to installing it sunday night. Cannot describe how much nicer shifting the TC feels now. Very positive engagement with no binding/vagueness of the stock setup.

A+++

Waaay to many pages to read thru, I habe a cable shifter and have never been happy with it. I have a 231j with added 2low, will this still function properly?

Installed my manual kit with my ax15 flat belly and a raised trans mount. Went in perfectly. A few minor adjustments and works flawlessly. Good product.

Last edited:
Back