• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

H4 headlight conversion questions

Camshaft

NAXJA Forum User
I've been wanting to do this for a while, and last week one of my Silverstars finally burned out. I ordered the Delta Tech conversion from Quadratec but the trim rings won't fit around the lights for some reason, so I sent them back and ordered the Hella conversion instead. Has anyone had any problems with the Delta Tech or Hella conversions? Also, does anyone know where to buy the blue glow rings that fit around the base of the bulb? Quadratec used to sell them but they don't anymore.

I just installed the Hella's. No problems and they work well.

I just got my autopals last night i will put them in and get pics tonight! My buddy has Hella's in his and they seemed to fit good! I'm with urban yan and thinking you just got some from a bad batch!

I have Autopal enclosures, Hella 80/100s, and a homemade harness made by my friend.

It's stupid bright now, but it has a sharp cutoff meaning I'm not really pissing anyone else off.

Arrrrgh! I tried to modify the trim rings to fit, and now the dealer wants $22 each for new ones. New bolts to align the headlights are $6 each! Looks like I'll be calling the salvage yard.

The hole in the buckets are too small and have to be enlarged for the trim rings to fit. I had to do it with my PILOT housings.

On my Trans AM I had to enlarge the hole in the back of the bucket for the conversion housings to fit and then the trim ring will go around the housing and keep it in, it might not fit perfect but thats what adjusters are for!

Best of luck, go HID now.

I have a great kit in both of my cars TA and Jeep. Got it from the same guy off EBAY for 56.99 shipped! HIDGATE (username)

I have the IPF's some of the best housing IMO.

I have Ipf lenses and ran x51 fatboy bulbs that blew out and they were discontinued so i had them send me a new replacement set that just burned out too and i have to get a new set again. Im not happy with ipf bulbs at all.

OK apparenty the salvage yard has the trim rings from a 1990. Will they fit? I'm talking about the aluminum rings that hold the housings in place. I may pick up the throttle body too.

Last edited:
i bought a set of the deltas for a tj i had and they were loose in th ring as well, i put a bead of clear silicone in the trim ring and let it dry, it held the deltas in with no problem, on my xj i got the autopals and they work really well and cost less too, i thought to get the glow ring u had to get the lights with them built in? hth

I have Ipf lenses and ran x51 fatboy bulbs that blew out and they were discontinued so i had them send me a new replacement set that just burned out too and i have to get a new set again. Im not happy with ipf bulbs at all.
I dont run their bulbs, I have the housings. The housing IMO, are the best.

IPF and Hella both make quality E-code lenses... I have had better luck with high-wattage Hella bulbs vs the (much more costly) IPF bulbs, although the 170w high/100w low IPF bulbs were incredible for the limited use they saw. The two pair of Hella 130/90 halogens I am running have lasted a long time

YMMV

i bought a set of the deltas for a tj i had and they were loose in th ring as well, i put a bead of clear silicone in the trim ring and let it dry, it held the deltas in with no problem, on my xj i got the autopals and they work really well and cost less too, i thought to get the glow ring u had to get the lights with them built in? hth

I am happy with my autopals. I think once i get a harness upgrade and maybe some new bulbs they should be even better!

OK apparenty the salvage yard has the trim rings from a 1990. Will they fit? I'm talking about the aluminum rings that hold the housings in place. I may pick up the throttle body too.
They should be the same considering all XJs used 6054 headlights... you can always double-check it against your current trim ring when you go to the yard.

Hmmm, just put my Autopals in, and neither one fits snuggly in the trim ring. After he refused any "best offer" under the buy it now price, took a week to get here, and the crappy packing, I have to admit, I'm less than pleased so far, and I haven't even gotten to run them yet. I shouldn't have to buy new trim rings to find one that fits, nor should I have to glue my headlights in place, but that sure looks like the case.

Guess it's not just the Autopals though, which makes this a little less of a PITA.

Back