• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Guns

When I sell my truck I was planning on taking a little bit of the money and buying a Benelli M1 with a pistol grip that I saw at a hunting store for just over $500.
But playing with shotguns, rifles, and handguns all day yesterday, has pushed me more towards getting a rifle instead. I've narrowed it down to 2 options... and I can't decide. Both will have similar add ons and whatnot so that isn't being taken into consideration.

The AK-47 is simple, easy, accurate when taken care of, and I've found plenty for $500 and under for the whole package. 7.62x39 is a good round IMO, it has a good amount of power behind it but doesn't have a whole lot of kick, and isn't quite as expensive as the 7.62 NATO or Russian are.

The AR-15 is... the AR-15. Mine would be more of an M4 style. They're accurate, and .223 isn't exactly my favorite round but it is pretty nice to shoot. I'd much rather have an American product than any kind of foreign one ('cept for HK), and I do love the look and feel of the M4 vs the AK, but these cost quite a bit more than the AKs do... I'm seeing lowers for around $300 and uppers for about $500.

Opinions, preferences, comments?

Can't go wrong wither way. Just make sure you get one from a reputable company.

i CC my XD40 and love it.

This^ Mine is a 9mm though.

Well I've been looking at Hurley's links and doin some more research, and I've decided to go with the AR.
I've got everything picked out and bookmarked except for the barrel... I'm stuck between a 12.5" and a 14.5"
Now I just gotta sell the truck... there's a big diesel truck fest thing at Bandimere on the 8th, so I'll bring the truck with a for sale sign and cross my fingers lol.

12.5" tube? Gonna get a Form 4 for an SBR and pay the $200 transfer tax to F Troop?

Ditto on the 14.5" - unless both have a flashhider permanently attached (welded & pinned) to the muzzle end or just have the profile machined on.

I don't trust F Troop. I didn't get a short tube with permanent flashhider - I just got the 16.5" tube and called it done. Easier that way (F Troop had nailed a guy - Jerry Drasen, I think - because they took a "short" barrel - 14" tube with long flashhider welded on - milled flats on it, and broke the weld with a four-foot wrench. No, thanks - he got sent up for something like five or six dozen counts of selling short-barrelled rifles, because he ran a shop and that's how many barrels he had.

(And people wonder what I have against F Troop. I've been digging around to rebuild my "Why they should be disbanded" collection...)

12.5" tube? Gonna get a Form 4 for an SBR and pay the $200 transfer tax to F Troop?

Ditto on the 14.5" - unless both have a flashhider permanently attached (welded & pinned) to the muzzle end or just have the profile machined on.

I don't trust F Troop. I didn't get a short tube with permanent flashhider - I just got the 16.5" tube and called it done. Easier that way (F Troop had nailed a guy - Jerry Drasen, I think - because they took a "short" barrel - 14" tube with long flashhider welded on - milled flats on it, and broke the weld with a four-foot wrench. No, thanks - he got sent up for something like five or six dozen counts of selling short-barrelled rifles, because he ran a shop and that's how many barrels he had.

(And people wonder what I have against F Troop. I've been digging around to rebuild my "Why they should be disbanded" collection...)

I'll do the Form 4 and tax stamp later on when I have time to wait for the paperwork to go through... like when I'm deployed.

The 14.5" has a flashhider welded to it, so I think I should be good there... no intentions of breaking that off, so I should be ok. The only reason I'd want that flashhider off would be to put a different, better one on, but really the A2 should be fine.

Anyway... anything else I might need/want that I should add to the list?

Maybe i am just to old ,but i fail to see the reasoning behind a assult rifel for home defense/target shooting. or even hunting .you can buy a good revolver for 300 or so bucks .that will get the job done ,wont jam or missfire .and if you get a 357 it is even fairly cheap to practice with ,using 38's thats all i got carry on :>{)))

Maybe i am just to old ,but i fail to see the reasoning behind a assult rifel for home defense/target shooting. or even hunting .you can buy a good revolver for 300 or so bucks .that will get the job done ,wont jam or missfire .and if you get a 357 it is even fairly cheap to practice with ,using 38's thats all i got carry on :>{)))

This isn't a home defense weapon. I've wanted one for a while, I will enjoy putting it together from all the parts, I can make the firearm into anything I want it to be because of how modifiable it is, it'll be fun to shoot, and I'll be able to really get a good feel for the weapon before I ship out. I know I can get a different gun for less money that will "get the job done," but can't it just be enough to say that I want an AR?

cause us young guys like to be tacticool!

you keep sayin that........

and while i see your point and agree in a sense... i'd be more worried about forming bad habits before being properly trained.

the armys markmanship training is different. plus unless you are shooting in body armor, a k pot and all that, it really won't help you that much.

I've been hangin around Army people since I was a freshman in highschool, that's where I learned to shoot, so I should be ok there... and besides, any bad habits I might have, are already there lol. But I'm talkin more for how it all fits together internally, the ins and outs of it, how to field strip it as fast as possible, etc... not just firing it.

My new duty gun. Springfield Arms XDM-40. 16 round mags.

Went to go do some shooting with my old man in Ft. Collins yesterday..... had intended to sight in my AR-15 and my new-to-me Mini-14. The rifle range at the gun shop had just been shut down because some idiot couldn't friggin' shoot..... shot the track and the carriage that holds the target mount.... on both rifle ranges....... no I'm not kidding. :rolleyes:

So, my dad needed some gun repair to the magazine release on his Remington 270 which left me with a bunch of time on my hands while we waited at the gun shop. I saw that they had numerous pistols to rent. This was my golden oportunity to shoot a variety of guns and see if I liked any of the tactical brands out there.

My biggest obstacle with making up my mind was that I have a serious sentimental attachment to my Sig Sauer P226. It was there and worked perfectly when I needed it in '99. I've had this gun since the academy in '91 and I'd hate to know the actual number of rounds I've put through it..... but it is REALLY showing it's age and wear. It's stove-piped on me a couple of times now recently as well....

I'd always wanted to step up in round size but can't seem to shoot the .45's with any kind of consistency and the low capacity is something I can't get past either.

Never shot a .40 and most people had been telling me that the recoil on these caliber guns is worse than a .45.

After shooting a few, I found that I REALLY liked the Springfield XD series guns. The 9mm shot awesome - smooth as butter and the 18 round capacity was a bonus.

The XDM-40 was pretty hard to beat as well. The recoil system/design of the XD series guns really did feel different than the others. I could handle the .40 recoil just fine. At 25 yards, I was able to put a 5-round group inside a 5" target circle. The same that I could shoot with my Sig 9mm. The trigger pull of the XD series guns is exceptional as well...... but then again, most guns are an improvement over the Sig's trigger pull..... :laugh3:

So, here it is, my new duty gun. Just under $680 with the Streamlight T-3. Love the fact that you get 3 high capacity mags, a 2-mag belt holder and a holster included with the XD's. (A Sig 9mm with the extra cost of a 3rd mag and the tac light would have set me back $1300.....:eek:)

100_1414.jpg

Those new (m) models are freaking nice. The polymer frames flex and help soak up alot of the extra recoil produced from the .40 when compared to a rigid aluminum or steel frame. From my experience the .40 has always felt more "snappy" with more muzzle flip to it than the 9mm or .45. .45 had more of a "push" and less flip. .40 is definitely controllable though. Any plans on getting the subcompact for your backup?

I always liked the triggers on my Sig 229 and 220 for a DA/SA piece. The big benefit with that XD is that EVERY round will have the same pull. It makes for much faster and more confident follow up shots.

Have you ever replaced the recoil spring in the P226? Probably needs one and those stovepipes will stop.

Did you try the S&W M&P? That's what I'm shooting now, 9mm full size. I have some Apex trigger parts in mine to smooth out the trigger, improve tactile reset, etc. I know you can't modify your duty gun, but the stock triggers are still pretty good. I practice/train a fair amount and plan to play around in IDPA this year up in Dumont. Should be fun.

Yeah I had our Sig armorer at work put a spring kit in it 3 years ago.....don't think it helped. There are spots on the slides where metal is transferring from the upper to the lower..... The slide is pretty loose compared to a new 226.

Yeah I did shoot the S&W tacticals. Nice but they just didn't fit/feel right to me. I've never liked a single Glock I've ever shot either.

The XDM just felt right all around.

Sell My Sig? Nope. It will never be owned by anyone else. Ever.

My new duty gun. Springfield Arms XDM-40. 16 round mags.

Went to go do some shooting with my old man in Ft. Collins yesterday..... had intended to sight in my AR-15 and my new-to-me Mini-14. The rifle range at the gun shop had just been shut down because some idiot couldn't friggin' shoot..... shot the track and the carriage that holds the target mount.... on both rifle ranges....... no I'm not kidding. :rolleyes:

So, my dad needed some gun repair to the magazine release on his Remington 270 which left me with a bunch of time on my hands while we waited at the gun shop. I saw that they had numerous pistols to rent. This was my golden oportunity to shoot a variety of guns and see if I liked any of the tactical brands out there.

My biggest obstacle with making up my mind was that I have a serious sentimental attachment to my Sig Sauer P226. It was there and worked perfectly when I needed it in '99. I've had this gun since the academy in '91 and I'd hate to know the actual number of rounds I've put through it..... but it is REALLY showing it's age and wear. It's stove-piped on me a couple of times now recently as well....

I'd always wanted to step up in round size but can't seem to shoot the .45's with any kind of consistency and the low capacity is something I can't get past either.

Never shot a .40 and most people had been telling me that the recoil on these caliber guns is worse than a .45.

After shooting a few, I found that I REALLY liked the Springfield XD series guns. The 9mm shot awesome - smooth as butter and the 18 round capacity was a bonus.

The XDM-40 was pretty hard to beat as well. The recoil system/design of the XD series guns really did feel different than the others. I could handle the .40 recoil just fine. At 25 yards, I was able to put a 5-round group inside a 5" target circle. The same that I could shoot with my Sig 9mm. The trigger pull of the XD series guns is exceptional as well...... but then again, most guns are an improvement over the Sig's trigger pull..... :laugh3:

So, here it is, my new duty gun. Just under $680 with the Streamlight T-3. Love the fact that you get 3 high capacity mags, a 2-mag belt holder and a holster included with the XD's. (A Sig 9mm with the extra cost of a 3rd mag and the tac light would have set me back $1300.....:eek:)

Very nice!!

Here is a teaser of my newest toy or at least one of them.

Something Wicked This Way Comes.......

WP_001717.jpg

.....yes it has a skull on it, PUNISHER to be exact.

Hey Troy, tell me about the illuminator on your new pistol. I have a Springfield SA-XD.

Troy you gotta shoot some CZ's the .40 and the 9mm are pure sex in the 75b, the pz-01 is pretty snazzy too. Love love love shooting them.

Skully, more eye candy!!!!!

Here is the begining of my AR. Picked this up today from my coworker. Brand spankin new for 40 bucks.

That is a steal on any level, what brand is that, I can not tell in that picture?

Both of my custom builds used SPike's tactical lowers and when built averaged around $260 each.

You going to build a standard 5.56mm or doing something else?

Back