• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grin's Traitorous Titan

Supposedly both Titan and tundra. However the new tundra styling (14+) leaves a bit to be desired. Biggest thing will be if nissan puts a trans/rear that can take the punishment a powerful diesel is gonna give.

Conceptually it's just a cool partnership. I've been reading articles about it, and the fact that Dodge will utilize the Ecotec motor over the Cummins (I think) is going to bite them in the butt. As a consumer, when I think of Cummins, I think of Dodge. In marketing terms, when you split two things like that up, it's called cognitive dissociation - and it can prove to be disastrous for a brand. Think Pepsi Clear.

Last edited:
The drivetrain in the Titan in already decently stout. It's the same rear Dana 44 as in the JK Rubicon.

I hope on the 1/2ton diesels they stay away from the power war of the bigger trucks. I don't want my 1/2 ton diesel to be a 30,000 lbs tow capacity race truck. I just want it to get better fuel economy and be able to tow a reasonable weight more consistently in the mountains.

8-10,000 lbs (like most are rated) with 2,000 in the bed while maintaining 14-15mpg and not having to run it really hard to maintain the speed limit on the passes. It also needs enough extra to not be screwed once you get stuck behind a semi on a steep grade. You need to be able to get back up to speed and pass him.

Titan trans is definitely not stout.
The rear 44 is alright but they don't do well with any more power than the T has stock. Trust me I've been doing a lot of digging about what they can handle. And if the diesel makes any more power it'll need different stuff behind it.

Mike - tread wright pissed me off with some shipping delays and poor communication, so I cancelled my order with them. I have some Nitto 295/70r18's coming at Discount on Friday (apparently the only set left in the States).

The Titan Cummins is said to make 300hp and 550 ft/lbs, mileage around 25 hwy. I've read some articles where the Cummins equipped version is called a "tweaner", not 1/2 ton, not 3/4... Towing is supposed to be 13k + (compared to current 9500) which means it will definitely have more stout axles than the "super 44's".

Oh did you do the terra grapplers? You'll definitely have to post pics. I'm on 275's now but want more. Like ways. Lol.
Ya I've been doing a lot of reading on what's supposed to happen. But ya know how that goes. I know a different axle seems all but obvious. But the trans seems easy to overlook. In stock v8 form the trans is fine. No issues. But the guys that two and run 4-6lbs of boost keep blowing up transmissions. And I think with a heavier capacity and a bit more grunt the trans really is gonna poop the bed.
Wonder if those models with diesel will get helper springs as well to accommodate the plush rear end of the Titan??

I'm hearing 7-speed electronically controlled tranny, though I bet there will be a manual somewhere in the mix. Nissan is doing things a bit differently this time around -- whereas 1st gen had a single powertrain available, and only crew/king configurations, I'm reading that 2nd Gen will have a 4.0 V6 (275 horse/25mpg), a revamped 5.6 (likely the direct injection version that is in the QX80 (400hp-425 ft/lbs) and the Cummins, and will be available in multiple cab/bed configurations... as long as they don't uglify it, I'm really looking forward to seeing it -- though unless mine gets totaled, I won't be in the market.

ah, much better -- 295/70r18's (34.5 x 11.5)

Haha I dunno how I feel about the running boards either. But haven't taken em off my truck yet so can't talk lol

I do love how smooth they are on dirt roads though.
image_zps6debc18d.jpg

LOL, totally agree Fred. Not much can be done about the exhaust, but the running boards will eventually come off when I have time to fab up some sliders. Its bigger than it looks and some kind of step is actually in order, even for young whippersnapers.

It does drive like a caddy, Mike. the light "wheeling" (read dirt roads to campsite - put it in 4wd twice, and only because I was towing) this weekend was awesome. I'd slow down for ruts/holes like I would in a jeep to keep my teeth from rattling, and then I wouldn't even feel the rut. pretty cool. and Mike, get some friggin gas!

Ya I was trying to rush to work to make time for fuel lol. It actually does really well at 80+ on the dirt roads up there. Super easy on bumps and doesn't walk around too too much.
Grin I'm with you I totally wanna ditch the steps but don't want to leave the lower panels exposed.

Went on a family camping trip up on the Poudre last weekend...

Last time out with the trailer (?)

New Avatar (?)

Killer Sunset

Why are you ditching the trailer? Don't need it now that you have a truck bed?

We've outgrown it for family camping, I dump the kids in a tent nowadays. There is an outside chance I would keep it for hunting, but I think we're going to try and get into a true pop-up next year...

Back