• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got a new Job...

Whiplash_Syndicate

NAXJA Forum User
Well I have been working at a trucking company for 4.5 years now.I started part time at $10 an hour washing trucks.I did that for 8 months and got offered a trailer washer position.I had never backed a tractor/trailer before starting that job. also got a raise to $11.50. we got one raise after that and was making $11.59 the last 3 years.I was ready to start finding a way to get some education to find a better job as this was not cutting it.Well over the past 3 months we have had 2 mechanics walk out. One second and one third.Well I was offered the second but my boss knew as a single parent that wasn't possible but appreciated the offer. Well 2 weeks ago the guy on thirds walked out and I was offered his position after 2 weeks of training.I don't have any education on tractor/trailer but boss knew I would pick it up quickly.And I got $15.50 to start and after the beginning of the year if I handle thirds alone was told I would get starting pay for experienced mechanic at $18. Glad i stuck this out and didn't spend money i didn't have for an education I would pay for a long time. And this is proof business don't want to hire new employees, just move up lower positions.

Glad i stuck this out and didn't spend money i didn't have for an education I would pay for a long time.

Congratulations, but...

All was well until you said that. There's 2 things in life that I feel like is worth financing. #1 - A House. #2 - Education.

If you only take a couple classes a year... get a degree in something, anything. It's worth it. You don't actually have to learn anything, ya just have to buy the shiny piece of paper. $18 bucks an hour isn't much either unless you're still living with the parentals.

Congratulations, but...

All was well until you said that. There's 2 things in life that I feel like is worth financing. #1 - A House. #2 - Education.

If you only take a couple classes a year... get a degree in something, anything. It's worth it. You don't actually have to learn anything, ya just have to buy the shiny piece of paper. $18 bucks an hour isn't much either unless you're still living with the parentals.

I don't agree with this and I have a 4 year education. Unless you are trying to do something very specialized (Chemistry, Astrobiology, etc) I think that you can make as much, if not more, learning a skill/trade. In fact, there will be a shortage of skilled laborers in the next 5-10 years.

Remember, college isn't for everyone. College does not guarantee a job.

Knowing what the cost of living is like in Tn I would say a man would do fine at 18 dollars an hour. Not enough to raise a full family on but enough to live alone or as a single dad. (all depending on that situation). I would still not cross out further education if for no other reason wouldnt you like to know that you are the best at what you do and have papers combined with exp to prove it

Just my 2 cents

I don't agree with this and I have a 4 year education. Unless you are trying to do something very specialized (Chemistry, Astrobiology, etc) I think that you can make as much, if not more, learning a skill/trade. In fact, there will be a shortage of skilled laborers in the next 5-10 years.

Well I have been working at a trucking company for 4.5 years now.I started part time at $10 an hour washing trucks.I did that for 8 months and got offered a trailer washer position.I had never backed a tractor/trailer before starting that job. also got a raise to $11.50. we got one raise after that and was making $11.59 the last 3 years.I was ready to start finding a way to get some education to find a better job as this was not cutting it.Well over the past 3 months we have had 2 mechanics walk out. One second and one third.Well I was offered the second but my boss knew as a single parent that wasn't possible but appreciated the offer. Well 2 weeks ago the guy on thirds walked out and I was offered his position after 2 weeks of training.I don't have any education on tractor/trailer but boss knew I would pick it up quickly.And I got $15.50 to start and after the beginning of the year if I handle thirds alone was told I would get starting pay for experienced mechanic at $18. Glad i stuck this out and didn't spend money i didn't have for an education I would pay for a long time. And this is proof business don't want to hire new employees, just move up lower positions.

I'm happy for you, I'm actually proud for you, sticking with the same employer. Employers do recognize loyalty to a certain level withn the organization. The only serious consideration I had was two weeks training for a mechanic position to work alone, unsupervised? Seems unsafe.

I agree with you to an extent. I have a 2 year degree in graphic engineering. So far its done absolutely nothing for me other than having education on my resume. I want a bachelors degree. 18 an hour just don't cut it for me. I don't want to be 50 yrs old making 18 an hour on a shop floor.

We have been looking for a qualifed maec for 3 months now and only had one person who was qualified but had background issues that corp. wouldn't allow.In the yeas i have worked here we have had 15 to 20 young guys from NADC(nashville auto diesel college) and only one of them after working here part time washing has decied to finish school to persue this career. There is a huge gap in the skilled labors. Mike Rowe is right when I went to school we had an agriculture class that we learned to weld and work on farm equipment. After I grad. they have since quit that course for college prep classes. Most of my friend have similar jobs as mine and were the few young guy doing this kind of work. O and as far as leaving me third shift to work on equipment alone.I have to obtain air brake qualification before I can work on brakes.Our company hauls grocery so they leave out between 12-5 am so its mostly lights,tires, and occationally an brake chamber.So most of my repair work is minor at this point.

It all depends. You can spend a lot of money on some silly liberal arts degree and have a hard time getting a job at Old Navy.

I'm probably a little unusual because I knew I wanted to program computers when I was 7 years old when I started doing it as a hobby. Then I dropped out of high school and had some "issues". Then I got my life together got my GED, and got my bachelors in computer engineering at a cheap state college. It was a great investment and I really did learn a lot, it really was like learning a trade, very focused classes, for the most part. Since then I've never had much of a problem landing a job, neither has anybody else from my class. I know I'm pretty lucky in that respect, especially in this economy.

The one thing that sucks about it is how few programming jobs there are here in Vermont. There out there and they hire, but you can't be too choosy.

Several of the sharper and luckier production line guys at my work have been moved off the floor and into desk jobs, while a lot of the rest have been laid off.

$18/hr is a livable wage, especially if you're out in the sticks. It's not bad to start thinking about the next step in your career anyway. Ask your boss about getting some sort of certification. If you like mechanic work you could also try getting into something more specialized like aircraft or something. I bought my XJ from an aircraft mechanic, he did good work.

$18/hr is a livable wage, especially if you're out in the sticks. It's not bad to start thinking about the next step in your career anyway. Ask your boss about getting some sort of certification. If you like mechanic work you could also try getting into something more specialized like aircraft or something. I bought my XJ from an aircraft mechanic, he did good work.

Yeah we haul food so we run refrigerated trailers so 409's are soon on the list and I will get to go to school for the reefer trailers next summer. We also have to take some classes on Allison trans. One of the mech that quit went to work for RR company working on refrigerated trailer makes 60-80K a year walking in and home on the weekends.

Certs and degrees are useful when the economy turns sour. Good-paying jobs attract a lot of resumes, and recruiters have to use heavy filters to thin the pile--everybody without a Bachelors degree goes in the trash, oops still a couple dozen okay everybody without a Windows .NET certificate goes in the trash, etc. It works that way in all fields, the better the pay the more resumes, and having more sheepskins keeps you in the game.

I don't think anybody should go into deep debt for it though. You can get what you need at night school in most cases.

If you like working on heavy vehicles, save up some coin and get a CDL

At least you got to letter in Ultimate Frisbee.............

I agree with you to an extent. I have a 2 year degree in graphic engineering. So far its done absolutely nothing for me other than having education on my resume. I want a bachelors degree. 18 an hour just don't cut it for me. I don't want to be 50 yrs old making 18 an hour on a shop floor.
$18/hr is in the $40k/yr range. I was making $19.91/hr with a wife and three kids, doing just fine. Bought a house, admittedly on the low end of the price spectrum at $86,800, paid off a minivan - 2003 Caravan for $6000, put money into my Jeep and my 85 Nissan (not much there just getting it running and passing smog), etc. Not everybody can make the big bucks and be pulling down over 100k a year. If you're smart and don't always seek out the biggest and best, you can still get decent things and live off a lower amount of cash.

$18/hr is in the $40k/yr range. I was making $19.91/hr with a wife and three kids, doing just fine. Bought a house, admittedly on the low end of the price spectrum at $86,800, paid off a minivan - 2003 Caravan for $6000, put money into my Jeep and my 85 Nissan (not much there just getting it running and passing smog), etc. Not everybody can make the big bucks and be pulling down over 100k a year. If you're smart and don't always seek out the biggest and best, you can still get decent things and live off a lower amount of cash.

Insert innapropriate witty semi racist job comment here :shhh: :dunce:

I have an associates degree in Electronic Instrumentation, and a Bachelors in Business - I am a pipefitter/welder for a living, and make twice what I have ever made with any of my formal education.

Only 2 years left on those students loans....

Do what ever works for you. You can always go back to school. I didnt get my bachelors until I was 30.

Insert innapropriate witty semi racist job comment here :shhh: :dunce:
Insert witty racist response...yeah, I'm lazy. Are you that surprised? ;)
I have an associates degree in Electronic Instrumentation, and a Bachelors in Business - I am a pipefitter/welder for a living, and make twice what I have ever made with any of my formal education.

Only 2 years left on those students loans....

Do what ever works for you. You can always go back to school. I didnt get my bachelors until I was 30.
I'm looking at the pipefitters and IBEW unions out here as a possibility. Skilled labor is short as has been pointed out...

Back