• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Golden Mtn - Flog: Nov 12-14, 2010

73977_10150098972750937_596615936_7484916_4789877_n.jpg

...top of bounty hill

More then 3"'s there dude..
11082010199.jpg

5-5.5" I'm guesstimating... but I have trimmed my fenders more than most do :)
...and I had no tire rubbage!

This trip was awesome! ...not gonna lie. Definitely worth all the work put into my Jeep the past few weeks. I plan to do a build thread on what I did in preparation for this trip, but I'll see if I can manage to post up some pics of this AWESOME trip first :)

...and a special thanks to those who stepped up and took my pics when I gave them my camera! thanks guys...

Im pretty sure there aren't many pictures of me. I know Sam took some so hopefully she'll post the ones of me and Doug up pretty soon.

I had an absolute blast! Only carnage for me was a bent rear heim joint and another tweaked tie rod... but not as bad this time. I can straighten it. When I pull it off this time I am going to space it up about a half an inch to add just a bit of extra "free" clearance. Then Im going to relocate the ram and try to keep it from hitting anything. I also discovered that I definitely want to do a Dana 20 swap and get rid of the 18. After doing some research last night I learned that it is the exact same adapter for the 18/20, only difference is the index (centric) centering spacer that centers the case on the adapter. I will have to change that but ts just a little piece of aluminum so it shouldn't be too expensive. Positive things about the 2 is the updated design with slightly stronger case, and the ability to disengage the rear for front dig capability. The downside is the low range: 2.0:1 compared to the 18's 2.46:1 Ratio. So... basically that means I'll need to get a Teralow for the 20 to take it down to 3.15:1. This really sucks too because the kit is $900 and I will still need a $200 rebuild kit to install it. But at that point I'll have brand new gears throughout, as well as all new bearings and seals. So basically the only thing that won't be new will be the output shafts and the case. The last benefit to this idea is the fact that Advance Adapters has a 32 spline rear upgrade that allows the use of a larger output shaft similar to those offered for the Dana 300.

At this point... you may be thinking, why not an Atlas... well 2 reasons: I would need a different adapter which is $500 and it won't fit my chassis without some serious modifications. The 20 will slip right in.

Anyway, thats me just rambling on again haha.

For those that didn't make it, a calling out is in order, you guys stink and you missed out on the absolute best trip of the year by far!

Glad y'all had fun, wish I could have made it.

Classic case of "If it's not broken, don't fix it" for me. The Jeep was driving pretty well till Friday night. Put my adjustable uppers on to get some caster out of it and get the front pinion angle a little better. Got it all buttoned up and drove it, seemed fine till I hit the interstate.

No Death Wobble but a lot of wandering, especially on the brakes. Guess I took too much caster out. At that point it was pretty much too late to do anything about it, and didn't feel like it was a good move to drive it 2 hours in that condition. Also turns out that I need some longer bolts for the uppers on the axle end. The nuts were only holding by a few threads, and at 9:00 PM on a Friday night, there was no way I was going to find the bolts I need. I know it probably would have been fine, but didn't want to chance it since the last 2 times I've had it on the trail it's insisted on breaking something.

Should have left it alone and come up on Saturday as planned, but couldn't help screwing with it.

Next time, no messing with my Jeep at the last minute.

Awesome trip! Golden Mountain is a great place to wheel!! Hope everybody got home safe, Tim I missed ya bud.

forget Dan.. he ll never post pictures.. WHY BRING HIM ?

^^ He's a blast to wheel with and he'll show up!

Not to mention he has a baaaad XJ with BOGGERS!!!

Plus he can rewire a winch controller with a cool 3-way toggle switch.

Back