• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Going to tons...

Jk2xj1

NAXJA Forum User
Well here I am, back again for advice and suggestions. First off I wasn't sure if this should be under advanced fab or not, so mods can feel free to move it if needed. Secondly after my last thread on steering upgrades..Ive taken that advice and combined with a decent JY find...I'd like to move to one ton axles. I have done a decent amount of research here and at Pirate, and I guess I need some more real life advice from those who have done it. What did you do that worked well, and what did you do that didn't? For starters I will be going to one ton steering and hydro assist. I'd like to run a 39.5-40 ish tire..but I'd like for it to still be a radial (I know, I know). My Jeep association does Poker runs often, and I'd like to still be able to drive it to a meeting from time to time. I know longer DD this rig. It is a clean Jeep, runs well and I'd like to retain the streetability.

I stumbled on a rear Dana 60 from a E250 van at the local Pull-A-Part. it is completed with discs and I got it with all emergency brake hardware. Cost me a whopping $175.00. I have not found a decent enough deal to get the front axle yet, and this leads me to a couple questions. I am assuming I'd need to get a more "modern" d60 to match the rear, am I correct? By matching I mean the bolt pattern, and I think it would be a BJ front with unit bearings. None of which I am opposed to because of the occasional street use. I also have access to a late 70s D44 front with the original ford lockouts and the 1/2 inch axle tubes. I'd assume its a different 8 lug pattern. I'll be keeping the front 3 link, frame stiffeners have been purchased(I should have already had them..). I was thinking keep the rear on leafs for now...

What do you guys think? Sound like I am on the right track or (besides a lot of cutting) is there something I've missed? Below is a pic of the rig currently and the rear 60.

that 60 should be 8x6.5, so finding a front to match is pretty easy. there are plenty of 60s to choose from, dont let people tell you the ONLY one that works is a 78-79 ford 60. lots of people run newer ones. i wouldnt even consider a 44 at all if you want to run a 40" tire.

read this:
http://www.billavista.com/tech/Articles/Dana_60_Front_Axle_Bible/

unit bearings in newer 60s arent bad at all, some are pretty damn strong. BJ 60s are plenty strong too. streetability is a non-issue. do it right and it will drive fine. my buddy's XJ on tons and 40" PBRs does 75 down the highway no problem.

Man, I sure with the inside of mine was that clean.
That's what she said.

I may consider going to tons when I do a V8 swap. Good luck in your search for a matching front axle

87-91 f350 do frts are easier to find maybee not so much in missisipi 92-98 are balljoint but still good, avaiod the dodge frt's there the worst 60 ever made

Man, I sure with the inside of mine was that clean.

Even cleaner now that I have complete factory door panels..haha. the Zj seat swap helped my interior out ALOT!

I have had a couple leads on the modern ones at 5-600. The 500 one not having calipers. I know the search may take awile but I am patient. Anyone know what my D30 with Mile Marker lockouts will be worth roughly?

That's an E350 axle, 250 axles were semi floaters unlike the full floater you have a pic of. As long as its a pre 04 or 05 or something like that, its gunna be the old school 8x6.5 pattern. Any Ford front axle with unit bearings is gunna be 99+ with the newer metric bolt pattern, 8x170mm. Look for pretty much any Ford front 60 from 78-98. The offsets in the later ones still leave you enough room to work with for brackets. 92.5/93-98 had ball joints but that's not really something you should be worried about. Unless you wanna go high steer arms and such, then its easier to get a kingpin axle and steering arms.

That's an E350 axle, 250 axles were semi floaters unlike the full floater you have a pic of. As long as its a pre 04 or 05 or something like that, its gunna be the old school 8x6.5 pattern. Any Ford front axle with unit bearings is gunna be 99+ with the newer metric bolt pattern, 8x170mm. Look for pretty much any Ford front 60 from 78-98. The offsets in the later ones still leave you enough room to work with for brackets. 92.5/93-98 had ball joints but that's not really something you should be worried about. Unless you wanna go high steer arms and such, then its easier to get a kingpin axle and steering arms.

Good catch, I could have sworn it was an E250, but you are right. The pic I took of the donor confirms it.

I was thinking the 99 rear that I have would be 8X170. With what you said..all I need to find is anything ford D60 front UP TO 1998. That should make this somewhat easier.

Back