• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Glove box area grab bar?

Ba-Riedo

has frame envy
Anyone ever thought about producing a grab handle like the TJ has over its glove box for the late model XJ's? Just would be nice for the passenger to have something else there in my opinion.

-Alex

I'm not sure about 96 and down but I always thought that the reason for not having this (at least in 97+) was the passenger air bag. I would think that when the airbag deployed, the handle could potentially come shooting at the face of the passenger. Or you would have to mount the handle where the glove box is, and there isn;t much support there with out getting rid of the glove box.

Chris

I think my '02 Liberty had one for the passenger in the same place. I think that was to help the passenger step into the mall parking lot.

What would you use to support the inside of the dash? Would that become a head knocker in the event of a collision?

Eh, they have the grab handle above the door. Not sure how much work it would be, maybe someone could look into it.

The grab handle above the door isn't much of a "grab" bar, I don't think...unless it's supposed to rip off when your passanger grabs at it. They don't seem to have very stout mounting, and with any serious jolt/pull, come right off...

The airbag issue would be a big one to consider, no doubt... But if something could be figured out, if the jeep doesn't have a cage by that time, I know I would be interested in it as a consumer...

The grab handle above the door isn't much of a "grab" bar, I don't think...unless it's supposed to rip off when your passanger grabs at it. They don't seem to have very stout mounting, and with any serious jolt/pull, come right off...

The airbag issue would be a big one to consider, no doubt... But if something could be figured out, if the jeep doesn't have a cage by that time, I know I would be interested in it as a consumer...

my buddy weighs 280 and ripped it out like it was nothing. XJs need an oh sh*t bar.

my buddy weighs 280 and ripped it out like it was nothing. XJs need an oh sh*t bar.

it's true that they need a true oh-sh*t bar. one on the a pillar might work well... i think i'd rather that than on the dash. granted, this buddy of his that he's speaking of is more of a moose, not a human.

plus, if it was on the dash, those of us with fancy xj's that have air bags would be SOL

lol ok well I guess I didn't think if um...heftier passengers would be grabbing the bar. I've yet to have a passenger rip one of mine off.

I agree that the A pillar is a better position for one. Helps to better brace yourself against door and windshield impact.

Back