• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gift for a Marine

8mud.. what tank was this again? As old as you are, I hope you are talking about an M48?

I remember when we got the M1's to phase out the M60's. Man, those suckers were nice to walk behin in the German winters. Just not too close. When we got them, we had to guard them 24/7... with no ammo. Just an M16 and an empty mag. :doh:

I have a pic or two of us pulling the turrets off of two of them with an M88. The two M1's crashed almost head on on the tank trail at Graf. IIRC, it was the first such incident in the field, so both tanks got completely taken apart at Graf to see what damage there was. IIRC, no firing pins were damaged in the collision. :) I need to find those pics and scan them in one of these days. We had a CO that was a female with a large but... looked funning manning the rope to help control the turret.

I was behind one of them is an M35A2 when they crashed. One of the skirts was ripped off and open. I got to haul it back... those things were very hush/hush at the time, as to make-up. Was nice to have the MP's guarding the shop 24/7 for a while. I think they scored some bunnies and a deer one night for a BBQ. Crazy MP's in their VW vans. :)

Just to add, I sure enjoyed observing at range 301 from the tower later on when I worked in S2/S3. Some very cool shit there.

A mix of old and new that I just scanned. M1, M151X, M88X? M1009 (mine was the one with the spare on the grill... too many radios in the rear).

scan0011.jpg scan0012.jpg

Another one of the rig I drove... sorry the pics are so small.

ASPCA certifies NO firing pins were hurt in the publishing of these scanned photos.

scan0009.jpg

Damn, I've gotta become a club member to see the pics? :D

Really? Don't bother, nothing you have never seen in Texas, except this was in Germany, and in a frontline concept in the cold war. party1:

I was kinda surprised I had taken pics of a Jeep, and CUCV, a Dodge, and an M1 all at the same range in Graf. All BS aside, quite a mix of history there.

I would stll love to find the Jeeps from the 287th MP Co in Berlin... those things (two of them, for parade duty) were perfect.

:D:D:D

Kinda figured. That's cool of you for showing 8Mud pics of stuff he's never seen before. :thumbup:

I was kinda surprised I had taken pics of a Jeep, and CUCV, a Dodge, and an M1 all at the same range in Graf. All BS aside, quite a mix of history there.

I would stll love to find the Jeeps from the 287th MP Co in Berlin... those things (two of them, for parade duty) were perfect.

There was one out on static display in front of 978th MP Co at Bliss when I was there. I would drool every time I drove by it. :)

I feel old just looking at my pics and seeing those 'sloppy' woodland camo BDUs. I felt older when a kid I worked with (reservist) didn't know what it was like to shine boots. "Oh yeah, you were old Army," he says. :soapbox:

Phil, these two were stored indoors... absolutely perfect specimens. Only went out for parades. A tad bit of chrome, and very shiny paint... not quite OD, but close. They have to be out there somewhere, would break my heart if they were crushed.

There was one out on static display in front of 978th MP Co at Bliss when I was there. I would drool every time I drove by it. :)

I feel old just looking at my pics and seeing those 'sloppy' woodland camo BDUs. I felt older when a kid I worked with (reservist) didn't know what it was like to shine boots. "Oh yeah, you were old Army," he says. :soapbox:

(sorta on the "off topic" discussion...)

This really reminds me of how much you learn by asking the "vietnam vet" homeless types what their MOS was. I give em as much as I have in change / around if they actually know what I'm talking about, the posers get diddly squat. Eventually the posers will figure out that they should say something other than "I don't remember" or "I didn't have one" but for now it seems to work pretty well.

I really don't know what Army you guys were in, I went through at least a dozen school's (more). That was my path to getting ahead, if you passed top of the class you got promoted. Some schools were for step advancement, some awarded a new MOS. My GT scores were high enough to qualify me for most any military specialty. Some guys spent there whole military time, hanging out in the titty bars, talking trash. I fought the boredom buy learning new stuff.
If you worked in an MOS and passed the qualification, you were awarded the MOS. I'd look for trouble spots.
When an MOS was changed, due to new equipment or whatever, and you passed the qualification, you were awarded the new MOS, you didn't loose the old one.
Only two slots on a DD214 primary and secondary MOS, the rest got relegated into the records, under qualifications and schools. They didn't disappear.
A task would come up and they'd sift the records for qualified people. TDY was good stuff, paid well and was often fun and a change from the boredom.
You could even swap civilian qualifications for military occupational specialties. The guys in records weren't any better at sorting through the mess than anyone else was.
Units got new equipment and had no operators or maintainers, two choices, send the people back to the states or get enough people together and have the resources and qualified instructors sent here, to give the course in Germany. The course was sometimes given to trainers and sometimes to anybody qualified to fill a seriously short MOS. If they didn't have enough people to fill a class, they'd either draft somebody or ask for volunteers. Units would get into trouble if they sent unqualified people, incomplete or missing paperwork or people without the necessary equipment. I kept my stuff in order.
The schools were usually given at Vilseck, sometimes at the 7th Army training facility in Bad Tolz. Same people that ran the CATC (Combined Arms Training Center).
Anybody that ever asked about the military, I told to take every school they possibly could. Three reasons, promotion points were awarded for schools, if you did really well it was a shortcut to advancement and the thicker the resume', the more opportunities you got.
I was on most every range at Ord, Hohensfels, Graf, Friedberg, Kitzigen, Wildflicken and Knox at one time or another. Some well over forty years ago. I remember range 42 at Graf pretty well.
I guess if you live long enough, your reward is being tormented by some kids, who want to play the 99% game, if your not a 100% right your wrong. While I've spent my whole life playing the odds, 51% is better than 49%.
I'm not homeless yet and sure enough can't remember the address and class designation for every course or qualification I ever passed. I really can't remember failing any. But heck if you want to put money in the cup feel free.
And yes their are firing pins in a tank and they do fire electrically, through the pin. And no you don't test track tension with a sledge hammer. And the guy making most of the noise, said considered is the same as completed, don't know how much I'd trust that.
A gang tackle can be fun, unless your the one being tackled. Heck lets all go pile on GrandPa. Don't know if I respect somebody who'd mug an old man. Three choices I see, fight them, fear them or avoid them. But heck it's all in good fun.
The same skills I learned in the military made me pretty good at troubleshooting XJ electrical systems and a decent mechanic. When I got out I moved on to other things, mostly government jobs (GS).
I'm old, I have good days and bad days, bye.

And yes their are firing pins in a tank and they do fire electrically, through the pin. And no you don't test track tension with a sledge hammer. And the guy making most of the noise, said considered is the same as completed, don't know how much I'd trust that.

1) There is no pin, it is an electrode
2) I didn't say you check tension with a BFH, you check the end caps, if you don't know what end caps are you were never a DAT
3) considered - completed?

Everything else you said, blah blah blah, I'm old I'm starting to forget I'm sorry blah blah blah. Same BS I always hear from guys pretending to be military.

Why would you constantly change MOS? How can you every show complete Technical and Tactical knowledge, thats what matters.

My brother-in-law finishes up his Marine training as an officer in a couple weeks and my wife and I are trying to decide on a gift for him. I remember years back when my cousin became a State Trooper here in SC and my aunt and uncle (his parents) bought his back up weapon as a gift for him. So my question is, is this an option for us? Do Marines carry a back up weapon? As in an ankle holster or something? Thanks for your help.

Jason

Not wading thru this whole thing, get him an officers sword and setup.

1) There is no pin, it is an electrode
2) I didn't say you check tension with a BFH, you check the end caps, if you don't know what end caps are you were never a DAT
3) considered - completed?

Everything else you said, blah blah blah, I'm old I'm starting to forget I'm sorry blah blah blah. Same BS I always hear from guys pretending to be military.

Why would you constantly change MOS? How can you every show complete Technical and Tactical knowledge, thats what matters.

I'd tank you not to sap me.

A gang tackle can be fun, unless your the one being tackled. Heck lets all go pile on GrandPa. Don't know if I respect somebody who'd mug an old man. Three choices I see, fight them, fear them or avoid them. But heck it's all in good fun.

This is epic right here. First you're a badass, talking about all sorts of scenarios and what you've done, what you've seen on TV, and what you would do. When someone calls you out you back down and try the pity card.

If I end up over there next year en route to CZ, I fully expect you to bow out of taking the opportunity to meet me face to face. ;)

This is epic right here. First you're a badass, talking about all sorts of scenarios and what you've done, what you've seen on TV, and what you would do. When someone calls you out you back down and try the pity card.

If I end up over there next year en route to CZ, I fully expect you to bow out of taking the opportunity to meet me face to face. ;)
Piece of advice, if and when you visit the Czech Republic, leave the attitude home, they aren't too fond of *arrogant* Americans. They tend to grow them big there.
Good wheeling though.

I really don't know what Army you guys were in, I went through at least a dozen school's (more). That was my path to getting ahead, if you passed top of the class you got promoted. Some schools were for step advancement, some awarded a new MOS. My GT scores were high enough to qualify me for most any military specialty. Some guys spent there whole military time, hanging out in the titty bars, talking trash. I fought the boredom buy learning new stuff.
If you worked in an MOS and passed the qualification, you were awarded the MOS. I'd look for trouble spots.
When an MOS was changed, due to new equipment or whatever, and you passed the qualification, you were awarded the new MOS, you didn't loose the old one.
Only two slots on a DD214 primary and secondary MOS, the rest got relegated into the records, under qualifications and schools. They didn't disappear.
A task would come up and they'd sift the records for qualified people. TDY was good stuff, paid well and was often fun and a change from the boredom.
You could even swap civilian qualifications for military occupational specialties. The guys in records weren't any better at sorting through the mess than anyone else was.
Units got new equipment and had no operators or maintainers, two choices, send the people back to the states or get enough people together and have the resources and qualified instructors sent here, to give the course in Germany. The course was sometimes given to trainers and sometimes to anybody qualified to fill a seriously short MOS. If they didn't have enough people to fill a class, they'd either draft somebody or ask for volunteers. Units would get into trouble if they sent unqualified people, incomplete or missing paperwork or people without the necessary equipment. I kept my stuff in order.
The schools were usually given at Vilseck, sometimes at the 7th Army training facility in Bad Tolz. Same people that ran the CATC (Combined Arms Training Center).
Anybody that ever asked about the military, I told to take every school they possibly could. Three reasons, promotion points were awarded for schools, if you did really well it was a shortcut to advancement and the thicker the resume', the more opportunities you got.
I was on most every range at Ord, Hohensfels, Graf, Friedberg, Kitzigen, Wildflicken and Knox at one time or another. Some well over forty years ago. I remember range 42 at Graf pretty well.
I guess if you live long enough, your reward is being tormented by some kids, who want to play the 99% game, if your not a 100% right your wrong. While I've spent my whole life playing the odds, 51% is better than 49%.
I'm not homeless yet and sure enough can't remember the address and class designation for every course or qualification I ever passed. I really can't remember failing any. But heck if you want to put money in the cup feel free.
The same skills I learned in the military made me pretty good at troubleshooting XJ electrical systems and a decent mechanic. When I got out I moved on to other things, mostly government jobs (GS).
I've watched the tankers (across the street from my warehouse) adjust their tracks or change cleats out. They usually have 2-3 guys on the end of a really long, heavy bar that they crank as hard as they can.

Piece of advice, if and when you visit the Czech Republic, leave the attitude home, they aren't too fond of *arrogant* Americans. They tend to grow them big there.
Good wheeling though.
How'd you survive?

How'd you survive?

Hunters are guild here, that transcends borders. Generally speaking, good people.
I save my arrogance for you guys, when in Rome and all that.;)

Last edited:
Back