• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gift for a Marine

Base housing requires a letter submitted to PMO identifying the weapons stored at your housing. Model/Ser. No. That's all. Buddy of mine has a small arsenal at his house on base.

Off base is commensurate with whatever regulations your local or state laws require.

I think you guys are talking about two different topics, although I can tell you that you cannot carry a personal weapon (even if it's an M9) on duty.

Most of the appropriate gifts for a new officer are probably more expensive than what you're willing to pay. Like someone said, a marmaluke sword is $$$. I would check out some of your online shopping sites (Sgt Grit, for example) to come up with something appropriate for a Marine. My parents got me a wooden crate a couple of years ago to put all my USMC stuff in for when I'm old and want to look at it again. I think it only cost 80 bucks.

Dont worry about getting him anything for duty. The Corps will issue him a Gunnery Sergeant and that's all he'll need.

J

Ive been a Marine for 5 years, and if its one thing i know its how motivated (generally to the point of causing me mental pain) officers are when they get done with their training, dependent on their job. I think a sword would be an excellent choice, its called the Mameluke Sword and its got quite the history attached to it, if your interested http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mameluke_sword
They ARE pricey but if you were planning on buying him a firearm to celebrate (which i would prefer) it might not be out of the question. Just like anything else there are different qualities of sword and it does matter, look around if you go with this option.

As far as personal firearms, as an officer he more than likely wont be living in government housing so its a pretty safe bet. I wouldn't go with something duty related (i.e. beretta 92-f or the like, unless hes into it for personal use) as he will not be able to utilize it when in country. I mean he could defiantly get it in but they are making it pretty hard to get things out you know? Also dependent on his job he may not even need one and being an officer he will probably have one issued regardless.

Unless he has already got one, im sure he will be thrilled about the sword. Its really pretty cool, almost as cool as the NCO sword that is...

Sorry about being long winded but i hope this helps.

Josh

geeze i almost forgot, the one problem with a sword is it is fitted to the individual. Its measured from his hand when at attention to the ear lobe so a taller individual would obviously have a longer sword. Something to think about.

I keep going back and reading your guys posts...
In regards to 8muds post about keeping it in the barracks, mud stop being old as hell for 2 seconds ok, haha. A lot has changed around here, mostly for the worst. I worked in an armory for about 3 months when i was planning on getting out, the rules regarding personal weapon storage in the armory are INSANE! It pretty much takes an act of congress to get your gun out now a days. Its illegal to keep a weapon in your barracks room but of course guys do. Like i said, he will more than likely get an allotment so he can live out in town, this of course depended on his duty station and whats going on.

Take care

Last edited:
I live on base and have heard rumors that any firearms are to be stored at the armory. My neighbor kept his there. I have never once received a letter or been told face to face that I am supposed to keep my weapons there.

But if there was a full alert you could draw it right along with your service and crew serve weapons.

Dude its not 1960 anymore.

8Mud said:
I remember a buddy writing me from Iraq and asking me to mail him some ammo, because they kept putting him out on guard duty with no bullets.

Yea I'm going to have to call BS on this one. Plenty of ammo to go around.

8Mud said:
Somebody once came up with the bright idea to take all of the firing pins out of the tank main guns as a safety measure. Somebody forgot the ammo can they stored them in once, when we moved out on alert. Twelve basically useless tanks going to war. Didn't really make much difference anyway though, the caps for the firing pin and spring would vibrate out without the firing pin to keep them under tension and fall on the floor (some to never be seen again). I kept an extra firing pin in my pocket (24/7), mine was the thirteenth tank and I made sure to reinstall it before anybody tried moving the tank.

Again more BS, tanks don't even use firing pins. Well its called a firing pin but its an electrical impulse sent to the round. Your stories were much more believable when you talked about things you know. Are you a 19D or 19K? Some weeks your a scout and others your a DAT, make up your mind.

"But if there was a full alert you could draw it right along with your service and crew serve weapons."

In 1990, I was at Camp Greaves by the DMZ in ROK and the armory was right next to the barracks. Every time we were alerted, you would just run to the armory, grab your rifle and go. We always had live rounds, live grenades, claymores, etc. When I came back stateside to Ft. Lewis, I never saw a live round once including while on guard duty.

When I came back stateside to Ft. Lewis, I never saw a live round once including while on guard duty.

I saw this on Ft. Leanorwood back in 03 sad... On the navy base I work on the sailors atleast guard gates/patrol with their weapons red.

In germany we were amber.

PS: this thread has become awesome not quite epic.

Again more BS, tanks don't even use firing pins. Well its called a firing pin but its an electrical impulse sent to the round. Your stories were much more believable when you talked about things you know. Are you a 19D or 19K? Some weeks your a scout and others your a DAT, make up your mind.
Funny that gizmo that carried the electrical charge to the base of the round was called a firing pin, it was pointy on one end and fired the round.LOL
It's called combined arms, we had everything from choppers, through tanks, to scout vehicles, infantry carriers, even track mounted 4.2 MM mortars. I qualified 11E (later19K and 19Z), 11D (later 19D),63A, 63B, 63C and H, 45K (91K) 21B and C. I even went to 88K school, was 21K and M qualified. There are others. Some of us can walk and chew gum at the same time. I've mixed some of the old MOS designators with some of the newer ones.
I took a school a year, sometimes more if I could. School was my road to advancement, I took everything I could and tried my darnedest to be top in my class. I managed to keep the brown off my nose and still got promoted. I was even in an 880A slot for awhile, though I never really did do the job, I was running a 3 shop.
Funny, I've still got that firing pin, wanna buy one?

Dude its not 1960 anymore.

Yea I'm going to have to call BS on this one. Plenty of ammo to go around.

Funny that the gizmo that carried the electrical charge to the base of the round was called a firing pin, it was pointy on one end and fired the round.LOL
It's called combined arms, we had everything from choppers, through tanks, to scout vehicles, infantry carriers, even track mounted 4.2 mortars. I qualified 11E (later19K and 19Z), 11D (later 19D),63A, 63B, 63C and H, 45K (91K) 21B and C. I even went to 88K school, was 21K and M qualified. There are others. Some of us can walk and chew gum at the same time. I've mixed some of the old MOS designators with some of the newer ones.
I took a school a year, sometimes more if I could. School was my road to advancement, I took everything I could and tried my darnedest to be top in my class. I managed to keep the brown off my nose and still got promoted. I was even in an 880A slot for awhile, though I never really did do the job, I was running a 3 shop.
Funny, I've still got that firing pin, wanna buy one?
The only Marine I every got close to was Gunney Pitzer, good guy, we had like zero problems communicating and getting the mission accomplished.

AVNSteves recommendation is a good one. As is the Gerber multitool. A Marine running around with a Mark II could be deemed sacrilege in some circles. :)

Last edited:
Funny that one letter between 21K and 21M separate a plumber from a firefighter. That's a helluva promotion.

Funny that one letter between 21K and 21M separate a plumber from a firefighter. That's a helluva promotion.
I was actually doing both at the same time. In the reserves and working a regular job for the county (why not get the 21K into the records, it's all part of the resume').

My brother-in-law finishes up his Marine training as an officer in a couple weeks and my wife and I are trying to decide on a gift for him. I remember years back when my cousin became a State Trooper here in SC and my aunt and uncle (his parents) bought his back up weapon as a gift for him. So my question is, is this an option for us? Do Marines carry a back up weapon? As in an ankle holster or something? Thanks for your help.

Jason

i'll ask my roommate... he was in the marine corps for 5 years

Originally Posted by 8Mud
I remember a buddy writing me from Iraq and asking me to mail him some ammo, because they kept putting him out on guard duty with no bullets.
Yea I'm going to have to call BS on this one. Plenty of ammo to go around."

That could never happen, right?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_Beirut_barracks_bombing

220 Marines killed.
"It suggested that there might have been many fewer deaths if the barracks guards had carried loaded weapons"

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

I remember that one, I was tasked with setting up the refer units at the Mortuary, still upsets me. The Morturary personnel were working 24/7, they all looked like zombies, everybody had red eyes. I cried.
220 Marines killed.

Last edited:
That could never happen, right?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_Beirut_barracks_bombing

220 Marines killed.
"It suggested that there might have been many fewer deaths if the barracks guards had carried loaded weapons"

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Yeah, "loaded" being the operative term there. They had ammunition and weapons. "By the time the two sentries had locked, loaded, and shouldered their weapons". They just didn't carry red or even amber. Hell, they were probably in the guard shack. But they did have the means to respond. So yeah, it didn't happen there, poor example.

Yeah, "loaded" being the operative term there. They had ammunition and weapons. "By the time the two sentries had locked, loaded, and shouldered their weapons". They just didn't carry red or even amber. Hell, they were probably in the guard shack. But they did have the means to respond. So yeah, it didn't happen there, poor example.

The way I heard it, was they wanted to set up M-60's at the access road and the politicians said no.

Any soldier on guard duty in a foreign land will want to have a loaded weapon and authorization to use it. Wouldn't you? The only reason they would not have this is if they were ordered not to.

Back