• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gen. Stanley McChrystal

Wasn't McChrystal the replacement for Petraeus when he was not getting the job done? I really thought McChrystal was what was needed over there. :banghead: I would be interested in knowing what other members of the military that are active and doing the job think of it all. Sounds like the article was typical bs slung a certain way to sell issues. :gonnablow

No, Petraeus ran the campaign in Iraq for awhile and then took command of CENTCOM and was McChrystal's boss.

I believe it's the National Guard's job to protect the state.

I, (name), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God

I may not like Barry but I take that oath very serious as do most service members. Trust me you do not want the US ARMY running around and in charge.

Sounds like the article was typical bs slung a certain way to sell issues. :gonnablow

As are most of the links to articles posted in this forum :rolleyes:

No, Petraeus ran the campaign in Iraq for awhile and then took command of CENTCOM and was McChrystal's boss.

I believe it's the National Guard's job to protect the state.

I, (name), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God

I may not like Barry but I take that oath very serious as do most service members. Trust me you do not want the US ARMY running around and in charge.

So what do you do if the POTUS is a domestic enemy?

Yet we still send them overseas! :doh:
I think the theory there is that it's better to defend the state by having a battle on someone else's land than it is to wait for them to come here and have the battle on our land.

Ok that is right. Who was in charge of before McChrystal?

Ok that is right. Who was in charge of before McChrystal?

Gen. David McKiernan, he got fired too.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0509/22375.html

Kastein said:
I think the theory there is that it's better to defend the state by having a battle on someone else's land than it is to wait for them to come here and have the battle on our land.

I think there is a US code that allows the FED to activate NG units and bring them on to active duty in time of war.

Has Congress ever officially declared War?

I don't know, and don't care. My brothers and sisters are over there fighting and dying, so IMO yes it's a war.

Try Google it might find the answer for you

War has not been formally declared but both war zones were informally authorized by congress.

President can only act for 30 days without congress approval.

Approval numbers for OEF
Senate :98-0 House 420-1

Wow sorry to step on your toes! I will apologize and walk away.

BTW I have family and friends out there too!

Yea sorry a bit on the aggressive side. Not enough sleep. Honestly I don't know if Congress has declared either of them wars.:cheers:

Bravo xjboy! :yelclap:

See that is all personal opinion. If something like that really did happen how and who determine who the enemy is? Congress, Supreme Court, POTUS?
Everyone likes to run around and say Barry is the enemy but besides disagreeing with his policies/politics he hasn't broken any laws. I could see if he somehow stripped power from Congress or the Supreme Court but that is what we have Federal Law enforcement agencies for.

And this is exactly why complaints are supposed go up and down in the Military, not sideways. You guys speculating about what he knows and why he wanted out is just what the president and the country doesn't need, and just what McChrystal caused. You don't have to "suspect" generals know something you don't. You can count on it. They receive the highest level briefings this country produces; briefings mere TS/SCI holders like myself will never be privy to. What's worse is that he undermined the president's authority, and validated the fears the troops in Afghanistan surely already had; that they were on a BS mission that their leaders didn't believe in. It's bad enough for them to watch their buddies die when they think what they're doing is the most important thing in the world, and that their leaders and the rest of the civilized world are 100% behind them. What he did was cause them to think their leaders do NOT believe in the mission, and the effects of that are pure cancerous hate and discontent in any unit. McChrystal should be punished under the articles of the UCMJ specifically for what he did to their morale. By publicly displaying dissension like that, to a president who did what he asked him to do no less, McChrystal brought shame on the United States military, and put a stain on his career that history will not ever forget. Every American should be offended by his actions, because they further endanger the lives of troops already directly in harms way every day. This issue has absolutely nothing to do with the validity of McChrystal and his staff's comments. You can think what you want about what he said. The issue is that you know what he said, and you shouldn't. Neither should I. Wherever you hear them, the discussions about whether his comments were true or false are misguided and beside the point. Don't let people distract you from the real point. Generals, and all military officers, complain UP the chain and ONLY up the chain, and that's all there is to it. Complaining to your men about what your boss is making them all do is childish, pathetic, and counter to the good order and discipline of the military.

......What's worse is that he undermined the president's authority, and validated the fears the troops in Afghanistan surely already had; that they were on a BS mission that their leaders didn't believe in. It's bad enough for them to watch their buddies die when they think what they're doing is the most important thing in the world, and that their leaders and the rest of the civilized world are 100% behind them. What he did was cause them to think their leaders do NOT believe in the mission, and the effects of that are pure cancerous hate and discontent in any unit. McChrystal should be punished under the articles of the UCMJ specifically for what he did to their morale. By publicly displaying dissension like that, to a president who did what he asked him to do no less, McChrystal brought shame on the United States military, and put a stain on his career that history will not ever forget. Every American should be offended by his actions, because they further endanger the lives of troops already directly in harms way every day. This issue has absolutely nothing to do with the validity of McChrystal and his staff's comments. You can think what you want about what he said. The issue is that you know what he said, and you shouldn't. Neither should I. Wherever you hear them, the discussions about whether his comments were true or false are misguided and beside the point. Don't let people distract you from the real point. Generals, and all military officers, complain UP the chain and ONLY up the chain, and that's all there is to it. Complaining to your men about what your boss is making them all do is childish, pathetic, and counter to the good order and discipline of the military.

First, let me say that I completely and always support you and your service for the people of the United States. I never served in the military, so I can't speak from the same viewpoint as you have...... but I have to say that as an American...... I'm quite bothered by what you've said here. I don't mean this to offend you so please allow me to explain myself - hopefully you can consider this with an open mind.

"...and validated the fears the troops in Afghanistan surely already had; that they were on a BS mission that their leaders didn't believe in."

So.... you're saying the troops should be treated like mushrooms? Feed 'em shit and keep 'em in the dark? Should the same be said for the American public? I will stand firm that I will never be ok with sending our men and women into danger when it's not 100% justified and that their leaders believe 100% in the mission. Enough of our sons and daughters, fathers and mothers have died over there for this damn police action.

"Every American should be offended by his actions, because they further endanger the lives of troops already directly in harms way every day."

I'm curious how the General's statements (and likely his personal opinions/beliefs) could endanger the lives of the troops? McChrystal wanted support from his Commander in Chief and the war-heads working under him. McChrystal is responsible for the war effort in an enormous capacity. He's entrusted to make decisions, and make educated experienced proposals for action, weapons and troops needed to succeed in those actions....... and clearly he's totally frustrated that he's not getting what he feels he and the troops need. If anything..... Obama and the war-heads are guilty of negligence in their own responsibilities - they clearly aren't over there, seeing the war effort in person as McChrystal has..... If anyone is endangering the lives of the troops, it's the fat-heads above McChrystal that aren't listening.

"Don't let people distract you from the real point. Generals, and all military officers, complain UP the chain and ONLY up the chain, and that's all there is to it. Complaining to your men about what your boss is making them all do is childish, pathetic, and counter to the good order and discipline of the military"

I'm sorry, but I have this very same structure in my Law Enforcement career. And while it does have it's place, this structure's biggest failure is that the higher in rank the information flows, the tighter the filter gets and the top ranks only hear the highly edited, limited content information. And when there are legitimate problems..... the person in the position that should be responsible for handling those problems, simply allows the buck to stop there. We have Captains and Chiefs here at my Department that have absolutely NO idea of the problems and issues we line personnel have because Lieutenants and Captains fail to share this information - as it would make them look bad. So they handle it "in house". Usually by kicking it under the rug. Ain't no different in the Military.

So, I guess what I really wanna know is.......

Is there anyone that truely believes that the statements/comments made by McChrystal and his staff are just a bunch of negative, destructive lies? That they had absolutely no personal knowledge or experience to base their statements/comments on? Just out there on a mission to spread b.s. propaganda?

Come awn...... really?

YELLAHEEP, I am completely open minded about this discussion. All people have varying opinions. Let me start by saying that I am not in the military, I am serving here as a contractor to the military. With that said, allow me to reply to your statements.

"So.... you're saying the troops should be treated like mushrooms? Feed 'em shit and keep 'em in the dark?"

That is not what I am saying in the least, however the military has a structure and course for everything. Commands come down from the top and a soldier obeys his/her commands. Same within a American corporation. However what was forgotten was, at the end of the day no matter if your a private in the army of a four star in charge of operations in Afghanistan, you report to a Civilian.

"I'm curious how the General's statements (and likely his personal opinions/beliefs) could endanger the lives of the troops?"

The best way I can answer this from my perspective is to simple say descensionin the ranks. A VP of a company, or a Captain of a unit, cannot go around stating displeasure for the leaders above him and the policies they are making in front of his subordinates because then they become unnerved. They are the foundation of the machine, and if they begin to falter then the whole machine will fail and eventually stop.

Your third statement is entirely correct. There are problems with following the chain of command, however to maintain order and discipline you need to stick with that chain. The reason the top level people only get the summary of everything going on under them is because they ahve to process so much more information that affects different parts of that "machine." While I agree with you, I see no "better" way of delivering the complete "truth" to the top level people.

In afterthoughts I would say that whether his comments are true or false, misquoted or genuine, his actions are his own. He knew that he was talking to the reporters and that this was to be published. Rolling Stone went to his staff a second time after the interviewing to verify if this should be published, and his staff approved it. History shows us that any military commander cannot speak ill of his superior, and if this case a civilian.

And this is exactly why complaints are supposed go up and down in the Military, not sideways. You guys speculating about what he knows and why he wanted out is just what the president and the country doesn't need, and just what McChrystal caused. You don't have to "suspect" generals know something you don't. You can count on it. They receive the highest level briefings this country produces; briefings mere TS/SCI holders like myself will never be privy to. What's worse is that he undermined the president's authority, and validated the fears the troops in Afghanistan surely already had; that they were on a BS mission that their leaders didn't believe in. It's bad enough for them to watch their buddies die when they think what they're doing is the most important thing in the world, and that their leaders and the rest of the civilized world are 100% behind them. What he did was cause them to think their leaders do NOT believe in the mission, and the effects of that are pure cancerous hate and discontent in any unit. McChrystal should be punished under the articles of the UCMJ specifically for what he did to their morale. By publicly displaying dissension like that, to a president who did what he asked him to do no less, McChrystal brought shame on the United States military, and put a stain on his career that history will not ever forget. Every American should be offended by his actions, because they further endanger the lives of troops already directly in harms way every day. This issue has absolutely nothing to do with the validity of McChrystal and his staff's comments. You can think what you want about what he said. The issue is that you know what he said, and you shouldn't. Neither should I. Wherever you hear them, the discussions about whether his comments were true or false are misguided and beside the point. Don't let people distract you from the real point. Generals, and all military officers, complain UP the chain and ONLY up the chain, and that's all there is to it. Complaining to your men about what your boss is making them all do is childish, pathetic, and counter to the good order and discipline of the military.

:us:

Thank you for your service and perspective.

A General should understand the chain of command better than anyone else.

Back