• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gauging Interest: Rear Custom-fit Sub Box

Gauging Interest: Rear cargo sub box.

• Yes! very interested- order the supplies!

Votes: 17 21.0%
  • Yes, but will have to wait to see what the first version looks like.

Votes: 50 61.7%
  • My subs come with lettuce, mayo, and tomatoe

Votes: 14 17.3%

• Total voters
I have a suggestion! Make it interchangable, easy to move, and light weight. That way when the jeep blows up, tires fall off, burst into a ball of flames, or when it just plain rolls over a crokes. It will be easy and pain free to move about. But thats just my outlook on things.

BIG-G said:
How close can u make it to the JL stealth box they used to make (the black one????
Pretty close I'd imagine. But I'm working on the mounting system as of now... then I'll go from there.
For those of you that had the JL box, how was it mounted and ,in your opinion, was it mounted securely enough?

I've got an even BETTER IDEA!!!! OK, take the cubby sub in the quarter pannel idea and combine it with a seperate stealth box!!!

Heres the plan..take off the pannel, design the box so it can sit deeper into the quarter pannel & not stick out as much, BUT its a seperate box... plan ur depth & cubic space for the 10"sub, (u may fit a 12" this way!??), then plan ur mountings....mount it....then cut out the pannel so the box looks like its coming straight out of it and BAM!!!
More stealthy of a box; doesnt stick out as much; not using the quarter pannel as the box!!
WHATTCHA GUYS THINK?? BUILDERS, WHATCHA THINK ON THIS ONE???

i am almost done with the fiberglassing of mine. just bodyfiller left to do. i will get a writeup on it when finished. my cost has been about $100 right now w/ body filler still to go. mine is entirely out of fiberglass so ive used about 2 gallons of resin at about $40 a gallon plus mat and other supplies. i think prices would depend on the finish. the box itself will be about 100-130 cost if all fiberglass but the finish could be vinyl, primer/paint, carpet, or anything, all ranging in cost. anyway, ill be in touch. if anyone is building there own right now and has questions pm me. dothedew- hope you get to building these soon

How about this - a combined sub box/storage bin? Make a part of it the sub box, and lay a metal plate in between layers of fibreglas to protect the back of the sub - it need not be much - just a reinforcement of the fiblreglas.

The box could be built to fill the rear area, the sub can be behind a grille (or other protection,) facing up and slightly forward. While it's true that bass is non-directional, for a "clean sheet" build, why not point it forward anyhow?

No need to make it too tall - perhaps a little lower than the seat back. Allow some ventilation on the sub side, and we could tuck the amp in the box as well.

Storage can be accessed by a "bin" lid (probably best and easiest) or a drawer on bottom sliders (I'd not trust the sides too much, unless they are reinforced. Loading the wrong way...) The personal option of adding some sort of "storage forms" for custom purposes would work well also, methinks.

Having the "bin lid" open from the rear would also work - and prevent the need to remove everything from the top of the box to get into it (I carry two jerries, a 6.5-gal literjon for water, my first aid kit, a large ammo can with road gear, ...)

Just rambling. Oh - Dew, did I ever get gage measurements to you for that "eyebrow" idea I ran past you? Or do you still need them?

5-90

5-90 said:
How about this - a combined sub box/storage bin? Make a part of it the sub box, and lay a metal plate in between layers of fibreglas to protect the back of the sub - it need not be much - just a reinforcement of the fiblreglas.

The box could be built to fill the rear area, the sub can be behind a grille (or other protection,) facing up and slightly forward. While it's true that bass is non-directional, for a "clean sheet" build, why not point it forward anyhow?

No need to make it too tall - perhaps a little lower than the seat back. Allow some ventilation on the sub side, and we could tuck the amp in the box as well.

Storage can be accessed by a "bin" lid (probably best and easiest) or a drawer on bottom sliders (I'd not trust the sides too much, unless they are reinforced. Loading the wrong way...) The personal option of adding some sort of "storage forms" for custom purposes would work well also, methinks.

Having the "bin lid" open from the rear would also work - and prevent the need to remove everything from the top of the box to get into it (I carry two jerries, a 6.5-gal literjon for water, my first aid kit, a large ammo can with road gear, ...)

Just rambling. Oh - Dew, did I ever get gage measurements to you for that "eyebrow" idea I ran past you? Or do you still need them?

5-90
That was pretty much where I was heading with the one I was planning to build a while back... however lately my XJ has just not been the same and I have had to seroiusly consider letting it go a few times- therefore I have not been my usual self on here in building some of my interior pieces etc.. So to those of you who were interested in this thread, I am sorry.

5-90, I still have your design, and liked it very much. If you recall,o I was planning on making kind of a "T" style console that would have incorperated your design and the factory one-- I had been working on a few months back, but again, I didn't feel like dumping money into the XJ if it wasn't going to be with me for the long run.

I am still open to make just about anything, it's just going to have to be on a 1-on-1 basis.

-Jay

Hey guys, let me know when ur near completion and show some pics and a write up. Ive been doing the in car speakers as we speak and have cut the bottom of the door pannels off and cut and fabricated diamond plated aluminum into the bottom where the speakers will mount right into the aluminum. I will post pics when i got more done.

dothedew24_7 said:
5-90, I still have your design, and liked it very much. If you recall,o I was planning on making kind of a "T" style console that would have incorperated your design and the factory one-- I had been working on a few months back, but again, I didn't feel like dumping money into the XJ if it wasn't going to be with me for the long run.

I am still open to make just about anything, it's just going to have to be on a 1-on-1 basis.

-Jay

So, I got measurements to you after all? I don't remember, and for someo reason, they're still on my list to look up.

It wasn't a "T" shape thing, just an "eyebrow" housing that would accept a set of additional gages (aircraft style,) a bank of switches (2x5, or something like that,) and possibly a DIN mount or two for two-way radios.

What do you have for a design - any way you can email it to me? Drawings are just ducky - gimme something I can play with...

5-90

This will be my first post on this forum.

I would be interested in one of the sub boxes. Any info and new pics would be great. Feel free to PM me.
Thanks
Peace

Just to give somewhat of an update-

I'm building one, maybe two of these over my fall or winter break.

After that I'll see how things go- whether or not I like it, whether or not you like it and if I feel like making more.

Most people realy don't need the 10 and you can get an 8" that will hit pretty good. I had a 8" bazooka with 50watts and it sounded decent. But if your looking to shake the car nex to you its not going to happen. Plus that 8 will take up less space. I'm going to put one in my sisters XJ when she gets back from CA.

I don't know yet what I'd like to do for a stereo. Probably something equivelent to a couple of 6x9's and either one or maybe 2 10 inch subs. Nothing really powerful but something like 4-600 watts for everything. I can't stand huge bass, it hurts my ears. Buddy of mine has a 1200 watt system and that's allready too much for me. I also don't want to have my subs sit high in the vehicle. Since theres no back seats I was figureing on putting them in the seat wells but I don't know how that's going to work.

Hello Gents,
My name is Danny and I have a 1995 XJ 4.7 stroked on the bottle, that is my off roading sweetheart and not my daily driver. My question is I really want a box like the one I saw here that fits into the cubby hole however, I need it for the Kicker* Solo Baric L7 sub. You had mentioned it could be done just wondering if you have completed one and what kinda cost you would sell me one for. I really need the space saving design cause I use that rear cargo area for all my off roading accessories ie jack, tow ropes, battery box and so on. I plan on using the L7 grill to help prevent damage to the sub unless that isn't suffficent, not sure yet? Any info on this matter would be great, have a nice day.
Danny

Definitely an interesting thread. I'm glad I ran across it, because I'm currently working on the audio system in my Jeep. The best idea for making a stealth sub box in the cubby hole that I've had so far would to do something like this: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97186 .

As some of you said, that's a horrible way to do the box. Air leaks, rattles, can't get the volume precise, etc. However, that's an excellent way to do the front of it, in my opinion. Looks very professional. What you could do for the back is make a back for it out of fiberglass that would attach to the MDF front. That way you would have a precise volume, no air leaks, no rattles, and a very nice looking, stealth box.

I may just have to try something like this over the summer. Any thoughts on something like that?

Back