• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gauging Interest: Rear Custom-fit Sub Box

Gauging Interest: Rear cargo sub box.

• Yes! very interested- order the supplies!

Votes: 17 21.0%
  • Yes, but will have to wait to see what the first version looks like.

Votes: 50 61.7%
  • My subs come with lettuce, mayo, and tomatoe

Votes: 14 17.3%

• Total voters
BoXJer said:
... I wish I had gone with components up front with both a midbass driver and a seperate tweeter...

That is what I was looking for. I was contemplating getting components but Ebay has some killer deals on your 6002's. I will stick with my original plan of getting components.

6.5" fit right in the front without trimming? Can you put 6.5's in the soundbar without cutting too? There are just so many better options for 6.5 vs. 5.25. Thanks for all the advise!

Rand McNally said:
Ebay has some killer deals on your 6002's.
Got mine for $20 plus $10 for shipping from buyessex on ebay. Not in perfect shape, there was some solder flux on the terminals, but they came with grilles, instructions and mounting hardware. Buyessex also had several sets of the reference 6.5 components that were going for under $60...(Normally $150 new) Get 'em if they still got 'em, just make sure they come with everything...

As far as them fitting without any cutting - depends on the year of your XJ. If the Infinity Upgrade was available that year, then your Jeep will accomodate them. Mine's a '98 and the screwholes line up front and back, no cutting...

BoXJer said:
Got mine for $20 plus $10 for shipping from buyessex on ebay. Not in perfect shape, there was some solder flux on the terminals, but they came with grilles, instructions and mounting hardware. Buyessex also had several sets of the reference 6.5 components that were going for under $60...(Normally $150 new) Get 'em if they still got 'em, just make sure they come with everything...

As far as them fitting without any cutting - depends on the year of your XJ. If the Infinity Upgrade was available that year, then your Jeep will accomodate them. Mine's a '98 and the screwholes line up front and back, no cutting...

Mine is a 2001. Do you know if they are the same or not? It would be cool if I could put 6.5's all around. Much better sound than 5.25's. Thanks again. A lot of good info!!

Rand McNally said:
Mine is a 2001. Do you know if they are the same or not? It would be cool if I could put 6.5's all around. Much better sound than 5.25's. Thanks again. A lot of good info!!
Should be. Go measure the distance between the two screwholes. I'll go measure the same on the speakers. Let me know when you do. PM me and we'll go from there, I feel like I've completeley pirated this thread enough as it is...

BoXJer said:
DotheDew can chime in on this, I have no idea about reversing polarity on one of 'em. I know that's how isobaric boxes/chambers work, but I dunno about having the cargo area act as an isobaric chamber.

Those are designed to be used together in the same enclosure- using the "free air" of the cargo area is not going to very efficient to get the same effect. Using forth order boxes is quite complicated and in order to work well the need to be DEAD on...

I should have my MDF by the 17th and the the fun should begin...

BruteXJ said:
Dew, how about a setup to put 10" subs and an amp up in the ceiling mounted speakers I have? It's out of the way, but maybe point them at the rear glass for better sound?
Anythings possible.. what year is your XJ? the 97's and 98's would be easier to work on- next time we go wheeling I'll show you the rear speaker bar I made form the stock one- very ridgid and would be able to support a decent amount of wieght.

Mine's a '99. We're wheeling Devil's Ditch (see SE Chapter/No one loves VA? for details) tomorrow after 3. Give me a call if you're up for it. We may wheel Crabtree this Sunday, or you can show us around your areas if you feel like it. I've never done Big Levels, so I'd love it.

My 2k didn't require any cutting for the 6.5's up front, but I put some 5-1/4 in the back that I already had. I dont think it would be a problem to get 6.5's back there even if you did have to cut a little. Its just plastic rings mounted to the headliner. I have though about making a MDF box to mount up there and putting a set of 8's in it.

crookedxj said:
This is the cleanest sub install i've seen.
Too bad we can't SEE it...
Watch out, others dissagree with how he put it together though...
dothedew24_7 said:
and that link... http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97186 is a total joke.
A sub box using a MDF front panel, the stock sheet metal as the back of the box, expanding foam, and cardboard! Come on! Anyone who has a clue about acoustics would give that 2 thumbs down.

see thread: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=44821

Well, I wasnt saying to follow the exact steps. however it probably does sound fine for the normal person wanting a little extra bass. unless you are going for serious competition bass or something yeah its probably not your thing. BUT who knows i havent heard it or anything so i wouldnt be the one to ask. just goin from what ive heard.

Delays on resin and mold fabric from www.selectproducts.com

I should get it by end of next week, but will still have to find time to start on it. Since there was not as much interest as I previously thought, I'm not going to be rushed to get it compleated.

like the sub box that dothedew247 posted i was wanting to make a sub box for the passenger and the driver side where the srock spare tire would go and i would put a 10" in each with the amp under the rear seat

I saw the whole thread on the cubby sub in the jeep forum when the pics worked and pm'ed the guy for specs and tips. As he states to everyone that says its a bad idea and all that will go bad, he has NO outside rattle due to dynomatting & using the expanding foam in all the creases of the framework & to seal off the space for the actual sub. He calculates close to a cubic foot of space and uses a mid grade sub and swears it sounds great!! Just as good as any sub box hes had taken up his cargo space.
Am gonna do this myself but i would definately have bought the JL stealth box if i could so lets see how close u can come to that and i'll contenplate it!!!

if you get me dimentions, i can make a CAD drawing of this box - then we can have it CNC cut! That would be rediculus - a 1/4" plate sub enclosure....

ha ha

anyway - i like the idea, but im planning on mounting my 10's in the place where the rear door would be (us two door guys have a cubbyhole there with a cup holder - perfect space that ill never be using...)
I plan to cut away at the plastic and use some MDF type board to mount the cone in, and then cut away the plastic just enough to clear the cone.

These will also be mounted at an angle to point at the driver and passsenger seats in a criss corss pattern - it'll make more sense in 3 months when im back in CA and have some spare time and actualy do it - then pictures will be taken....

anyway- yeah - im done being off topic
time for bed i think

:D

As much as I used to be insterested in this idea. My Jeep is already taken care of. This is what I did:

SS.jpg

I made one change. My six year old wanted. If I remember I will take those pics tomorrow.

dothedew24_7 said:
Since I have recieved many many PM's about building these- I will open it up to the forum.

I know this thread needs some pics-BUT- I'm not going to build one untill I get some feedback to see what you all want in a box.- then I'll build one, post it, and we'll go from there. Most want a out-of-the-way box so they can throw their spare in, tools, dogs, etc without damaging it. Also, most dont want a huge soundsytem in the back- most just want a little bass.

I do need some feedback on what features you would like to see, how you would want it to fit in along with the stock panel etc. I will build each one to your standards, but do not want to go way-off base so I can keep the price low.

The box can very a little bit: I could make it have a removable grill to completly conceal the sub to having the sub stick out and be noticed.

I DO need some honest feedback as to wether you would be interested. If I have enough interest, and depending on features/ finish desired, prices would start in the ballpark of $175

How close can u make it to the JL stealth box they used to make (the black one????

Back