• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Full width HP44/9" swap

JKS style rear shock brackets are too short, only allow for 3" of up-travel.

Going to use the MORE ones. Still have to modify them to fit the bigger axle tubes.

Also found out that my rear axle hits my exhaust when flexed. Going to have to do something about that too.

Prepmech said:
JKS style rear shock brackets are too short, only allow for 3" of up-travel.

Going to use the MORE ones. Still have to modify them to fit the bigger axle tubes.

Also found out that my rear axle hits my exhaust when flexed. Going to have to do something about that too.

Travis, Mike is running stock shocks on 4.5" in the rear. Might be something to try. He's running the lower mounts even with the tube. JIM.

ILLXJ said:
Travis, Mike is running stock shocks on 4.5" in the rear. Might be something to try. He's running the lower mounts even with the tube. JIM.

Make that 5.5".
But I am running stock length shocks, mounted in the center of the tube.MIKE
:D

ILLXJ said:

Good point. I could move my mounts as far as possible to get as much length as I can, then add some spacer plates to my DPG bumpstop plates to limit my up-travel until I can get some new shocks.

I wish I could mount my lower shock mounts right below my spring plates, between the u-bolts, but then my shocks would hit my leaf springs when compressed.

I'm going to have to play around with it a little more.

Unit91 said:
Dang, that's a sexy rig. So were those pretty much a bolt in deal:roflmao:

Probably needs to be mentioned that Lawncher helped me out quite a bit, wouldn't have been possible without him, and Unit91 painted my front brake calipers red.

Haleyes said:
Make that 5.5".
But I am running stock length shocks, mounted in the center of the tube.MIKE
:D

hmm... very interesting.

How much travel do the stock shocks give you? Anyone happen to know the extended/compressed lengths?

Prepmech said:
hmm... very interesting.

How much travel do the stock shocks give you? Anyone happen to know the extended/compressed lengths?

I have no idea Trav. I just tried it on a whim, and it worked. I am running DPG like bumpstops too. I do think the shocks limit my downtravel just a bit. Been a long time since I really looked at it.

EDIT: I should add; Nice work Trav.! :thumbup:

Hale

DansGreyMj said:
that thing looks like a show peice id be scared to wheel it lol

I strip it down before I wheel it. The bushwackers like to break at the sight of a tree, so I made them easily removable.
100_0426.jpg

Its seen quite a bit of body damage, I'm just quick to fix it. I've torn up a fender, two doors, a quarter panel, rockers, and a pair of carbon fiber tail-lights, etc... All have been repaired, or replaced. The interior has been taken out to dry twice now due to being sunk in water. The broken parts get hung on the wall in my basement as trophies.
102_1722.jpg

Prepmech said:
Probably needs to be mentioned that Lawncher helped me out quite a bit, wouldn't have been possible without him.

Aw shucks. Just returning the favor. Just wish my MJ was as purdy as your XJ.

Got any final/updated picts? Maybe a head on shot or one to show how far the tires are out of the fenders w/o the flares? The reason I'm asking is because I'm torn between narrowing or going full width with mine and I'd like a reference point.

Here is the only pic I've got from the front:

jeepaxle001.jpg
[/IMG]

I ended up using the MORE shock mounts. They only hung down .5" more than the JKS style, but gave me a lot more shock length. I'll get some updated pics soon.

The turning radius sucked with the XJ pitman arm, so I am replacing it with a longer one. The parts book showed that the Waggy pitman arm is the same as a '78-'79 bronco pitman arm, but the bronco arm is quite a bit cheaper and easier to find. I got a bronco one, and it looks like it is going to work great.

Got tired of screwing around with the three piece spindle lock nuts, so got a set of the Ford automatic locking nuts to put in this weekend.
http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/axle/d44nut01/

I've found a sway bar that is going to work great, now just need to find one in a junkyard.

Last edited:
Curious on how the Bronco pitman arm works out. Any pics comparing the two? This might be the solution to my problem as well if it works.

According to everything I've seen, a bronco drop pitman arm is the same as a waggy drop pitman arm.

The bronco drop pitman arm I got looks to have the same drop as my RE drop xj arm, but it has more throw.

I'm going to swap the pitman arms this weekend, so I should have some pictures soon.

Gravesdiggerxj said:
one more question; do you have a part number for the 9" brakelines. what I have on there is too long.

I don't have part numbers, but the brake hose is from a '79 F350, the hard lines I had to cut and bend myself, the parking brake cables are from an early YJ. For the older XJs, a newer ('94) YJ parking brake cables work.

It is done, weeled it a few weekends ago. Everything is working out pretty well, it is very stable. My front pinion angle is a little too high. The steering is working great.

my 9in is under my jeep and has been for a month and a half. all the front is done except for the driver UCA and rebuilding the wheel bearings and brakes.

on the rear the stock e-brakes bolted up. the generic passenger side hard line I got from vato-zone was too long, so I wondered if there was a shorter one you knew of. I guess I'll just shoot in the dark again :)

did you shorten your trackbar or buy one. I like the idea of the JKS trackbar mount and shortening my RE one.

edit: I just reread your first post. how did you shorten it? Sleave it, or butt weld it with a piece inside that has an O.D. that is the same as the I.D. or the RE trackbar?? (I can't remember the terminology)?

Last edited:
Gravesdiggerxj said:
my 9in is under my jeep and has been for a month and a half. all the front is done except for the driver UCA and rebuilding the wheel bearings and brakes.

on the rear the stock e-brakes bolted up. the generic passenger side hard line I got from vato-zone was too long, so I wondered if there was a shorter one you knew of. I guess I'll just shoot in the dark again :)

did you shorten your trackbar or buy one. I like the idea of the JKS trackbar mount and shortening my RE one.

edit: I just reread your first post. how did you shorten it? Sleave it, or butt weld it with a piece inside that has an O.D. that is the same as the I.D. or the RE trackbar?? (I can't remember the terminology)?

I cut and flared the hard lines, they started out as 6' long sticks. Sorry, don't have a measurement of them and won't be seeing the jeep for another week or so. They should have long sticks of brake line available at the parts store, along with flaring tools you can borrow.

I cut a section of the track bar out at the frame side bushing and rewelded it right at the bushing.

9" shafts are not big enough.

:moon:

Back