• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Full width axle +/-'s

Doesn't a GM 1-ton TRE still come darned close? I know that the Hummer rim guys have trouble doing high steer because of the deep BS on those units, and they are 16.5".

Intereseting that you clear OK.

CRASH

I picked up the 14 blt for 25 bucks, detroit for 250, gears were 50 bucks, traded the original brakes for an instal kit (lucky), disc brakes were free (case of miller light) from a budy switching to 6 lug. Don't remember what I paid for the brake lines.

14 bolts are great axles. Very easy to shave, not that heavy once you get rid of the drums, can be switched from 67 wms to 63 wms by changing the hubs, and most importantly they are CHEAP and strong.

I never even thought about the problems with highsteer and deep backspaced rims. Oh well, I guess everything is a trade off, I wish I had enough $$ for 17" wheels and tires. Did any chevy trucks come with factory 17x8 or 16.5x8 wheels or does anyone make a cheap steal 17" wheel?

"Cheap" and "17 inch" do not appear next to each other very frequently.

Try Allied.

CRASH

CRASH said:
How do you guys get high steer arms on the front 44 with 5 inch BS wheels?

Mine come close with 15x9's with 3.75 BS.

CRASH

I've got some hi-steer arms from Tim Shaker (www.shakerbuilt.com), they needed some finishing work when I got them but otherwise they look ok. They are cut like a porkchop and clear the tires with inches to spare. I was a little worried myself but so far so good.

Vintage, do you have any pics of your high steer setup? I really want to make it work without going to bigger rims. (Why does a tire for a 17" wheel cost more?, its less rubber.) If I can't make it work I guess I'll just keep replacing the tie rod every week. At least the junkyard only wants $4 for one.

Here's some pics of my mocked-up steering. I just received the DOM today so it'll be together this weekend.

The steering arms are 3/4" and fit nice, they're totally flat which helps passenger side droop but not stuff, although with the 38's I only get 6" of up travel anyway. I'm sure you love my chrome pimp daddy 1" tie rod. ;)

d_arm_frt.jpg

d_arm_top.jpg
steering.jpg

The arms are by www.shakerbuilt.com and he'll custom make them if you ask, they were $125 for the pair which is why I bought them.

Back