• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Full bodied MJ on 42.5 boggers

What did you go with for your hydro set up? I'm about to start throwing money and part at mine and like the WJ box with DIY stuff. Do you care to elaborate more on what you did for custom stuff? Or just bolt on a go more or less.

Im about to cut up an mj for a truggy build. But i saved 2 others to appease karma so i don't feel bad.

At the end of the day theres not much about it thats rare or saveable anymore, its not like you would put it back stock. Building a chassis will take much more time and you can use the mj drivetrain as a starting point and size it to be upgradeable (fits an ls). A one off chassis is going to be better balanced, easier to service, and will have a longer hard use span than a buggies xj/mj. Im not sure it would take you anywhere a well built truggy wouldn't though

I have planned a chassis build for the drivetrain of my wasted 87 mj. After much planning and budgeting i was looking at being out of wheeling for the next 2-3 years. Im a driver not a builder, hence a truggy build to put all my truck's parts in. It will let me wheel and i have enough junk blocks and trans housings to mock into a tube chassis that i can really take my time on.

I think the mj is one of the best offroad platforms out there. For me everything is second to fun. If you're having fun with it who cares if its rare, let it evolve. I made a lot of people mad when i cut up a mint 87 xj wagoneer, but damn that was some of the best fun i had in a rig.

What did you go with for your hydro set up? I'm about to start throwing money and part at mine and like the WJ box with DIY stuff. Do you care to elaborate more on what you did for custom stuff? Or just bolt on a go more or less.

I tapped my stock box, used a junkyard wj pump, a parts store cooler and my lines are snow plow hoses. Reason being every parts and equipment store in new England stocks them. As for the ram I went with the psc kit. I could have done it cheaper but had the extra cash at the time and it a real nice piece. Very happy with the performance both on and off the street.

Had some fog lights from a SVT Focus laying around and decided to put them in my front bumper. Was not on my to do list but im still waiting on parts... Started with some 5 inch exhaust pipe and traced around it.

Welded some rod over it and painted.

And installed lights.

All done.

You have any more pics of the bumper being built or from under it? I'm looking to somewhat copy this one.

Sorry its been a while since I have updated this. Was promoted to manager at work a couple months ago and have not had time to tinker on the MJ. But Im back at it. My plan is to get the LS swapped in and repair carnage I acquired last summer/fall. List of bent broken includes. Body damage(will be left for last), Broken dana 60 stub, Bent shackles, Bent rear shocks, Bent tie rod, broken tail lights, bent rock rings/rims, etc. Other than that this thing has impressed the crap out of me, and others. Here is a pic of the 30 spline 60 shaft.

This happened on Bunghole at Field&Forest. It swelled my spindle so the rotor and bearings wouldn't come off. Lucky I run dodge rotors so the rotor hat had small windows in it so I could get a wrench on the spindle nuts. Time for 35 spline outer I guess. Ever seen one split the long way like that?

Pulled out the tired old 4.0. Its treated me good but needs to be retired. For the last two year ive been running 15w-40 Rotella and Lucas oil stabilizer in it because it has no oil pressure at Idle. I have heat seized it twice and not run an air filter for two years. Anyone that says the 4.0 isn't a good engine is smokin crack.

This beauty is working its way in now.

I decided to make my own engine mounts as I want to get the engine as low as possible to clear my hood and lower the center of gravity. I plan on putting the radiator in the bed because the Novak one is out of my budget. For the Headers I just ordered some C5 corvette manifolds. I guess they flow better than most shorty headers and they will last forever. Plus they have heat shields. Ill update if they clear everything or not.

Those manis should clear. Put some decent studs in when u put them on because they always break. Those manis fit tight though. I think its easier to get longtubes in and out of a c6 bay than those manifolds, plus the bolts are more difficult to get to

If you go to places like lt1swap, and ls1swap, I think even pirate, there are people/vendors that will setup a harness for whatever you want/don't want. From what I have seen, is a reasonable fee for a lot less personal headache. There are also several places that will flash your PCM as well.

If you get a Pcm pin out its pretty easy. Just pull unused pins from pcm plug and pull those wires out of harness. Good opportunity to make the harness fit the engine better too.

I'm currently doing a blazer 5.3 swap for a friend so I have all the pinouts if anyones looking for them

I have decided to move the engine back 6" and down 3". The 4.0 mounts were 1" in front of the axle. The ls mounts are 5" behind front axle. This should make a big differance in weight balance. To do that I had to cut the firewall removing part of the heater box and one of the bolt to my gas pedal... So it looks like its getting a sheet metal dash and a rally car heater sooner than later. So much for being done by spring...

Back