• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel pumps for an XJ Buggy

drewxj90

NAXJA Forum User
I need some help! I am trying to figure out how the fuel system works on a 97 XJ. I am trying to run a fuel pump on the rail of my buggy to the 4.0. The fuel rail on the engine is a returnless system(?) only one in-line to the rail from the pump. What kind of pressure do I need where? Fuel pump? regulator? and fuel rail? What kind of filter do I need? I am running a standing 5 gallon drag fuel cell. If I use a standard fuel pump with a regulator will the seals blow out on the injectors because there is no relief or return or will the engine use enough fuel to keep this from happening. Do they make a regulator with some type of pressure realese if the pressure gets to high? Can anyone shed some light on this?? Surely someone has run this engine without the stock tank and pump!

Thanks
Drew

9et a 91 - 95 fuel rail with the return line and regulator. Then any inline pump (I have a Holley) designed for fuel injection pressures (45lb)

yes - bolts are same. Get the fuel lines back to the metal lines on the inner fender rail - then use couplings to go back to the fuel cell.

I use a Hesco regulator in my 98'. I had bought there system for $400 plus and have gone through several fuel pumps in a short time. After finding out how the system works, Stock system pumps 50+ psi at 27 GPH to the regulator (still in the tank) and the ecess fuel is showered back down around the pump in the tank and out of the regulator to the rail is 48-50 psi at what ever GPH is needed. After burning out several external pumps I bought an internal pump from NAPA that I think is for some kind of mustang but it puts out 60-70 psi and 36 GPH so this is plenty to feed the hesco regulator and sence it comes with a pickup sock filter/strainer I did not include the hesco inlinr filter (stock 95 YJ). The hesco regulator is just the top section of the stock late xj pump regulator unit that they made a bottom peice for it to gather the "shower" return into a line that you plumb back to the tank. This is working great now.

The NAPA parts web page shows you the rateings of the pumps and pictures so you can just shop for what you need, I don't know if you can buy just the regulator from hesco but you might be able to take your stock one apart and mill the cup for the bottom and be done much cheper the my experecne.
Going back to an early rail may cause check engine light problems, and you will need to change injectors and the MAP sesor cuircit that controls the fuel presure.

This setup is going in a buggy with no check engine or anything but can i use the same injectors and map sensor but just change the fuel rail and it still run right? And does anyone have a fuel rail for a 91 to 95 they want to sell??

Thanks
Drew

Back