• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel cell question

MJ_Chubs

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know if any available fuel cells are DOT legal? I've already swapped a Chevy 4.3 into my MJ and I'm contemplating putting a fuel cell in the bed and plumbing everything from there. I was looking at some of the ones available in Summit and ones from Fuel Safe. Thanks.

Brent

That is a big no they are not legal. There are a few company's trying to get them though. Nice little article in the new 4wd Sport Uti. Mag this month on it. Juice

Jeep speed uses fuel cells and some of those races require DOT rego??? Soooo maybe

the cops arent gonna pull you for having one (i dont know many cops that look for out of place gas tanks and stuff like that), just have to find a way to pass inspection

mark - I'm in MI so inspection isn't a big deal. I was going to attempt to build a sort of half-tonneau cover that would hide the cell and provide a little security for my gas and the eventual bed-mounted spare.

ashman - the stock MJ tank is mounted like a lot of pickups, longitudinally along the inner DS frame rail. I currently run a dual exhaust and have to cross it over to the pass. side and it really screws with my ground clearance. I'd like to run it straight back on either side and tuck it up inside the "frame" as far as I can.

Brent

If you don't have to worry about the smog cops with an inspection than go ahead and do it up. Juice

Thanks for the help guys. Looks like there'll be a fuel cell in my future.

Brent

Back