• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Frustrated XJ owner, please help or i will...

As far as I can see, nobody has brought up the possibility of your driveshaft being warped.

That is another common issue. Most aftermarket shafts, even when new, will have washers or other forms of weight welded to them to balance them. I had a similar problem with vibes, took the shaft into Six States, had them rebalance it, and all was well.

N8 DAWG said:
Aren't you talking about the slip JOINT on a double cardan driveshaft? I think you're confusing people. If you're talking about a slip yoke driveshaft, you can pull the shaft from the transfer case and insert it any way and it doesn't matter. If you're talking about a double cardan driveshaft (often referred to as a CV driveshaft) then you are correct about needing the right phase.
I apologize if this is confusing.

Whether the driveshaft has a double carden joint is irrelevant.
Clearly if a driveshaft has fixed yokes on both ends and the slip yoke is at the T-case output, there is no way to get the yokes out of phase unless you twist the driveshaft. Incidentally, a twisted driveshaft, with the yokes out of phase, can produce enormous vibrations.

If it is a slip yoke driveshaft, or if you prefer to call that a slip 'joint' driveshaft, and you pull the slip yoke apart and re-insert it out of phase with the opposite "fixed" end yoke , you will notice vibrations resulting from the yokes being out of phase.

22 posts in this thread and counting...

maybe it's time to ask "what the angles are"

maybe it's time to suggest a cheap angle finder to eliminate the guessing

MaXJohnson said:
22 posts in this thread and counting...

maybe it's time to ask "what the angles are"

maybe it's time to suggest a cheap angle finder to eliminate the guessing
Maybe.

ok.. so, i can pick up a yj slip yoke at a junk yard or something and stick that in the tcase to get a little better designed drivetrain. what shaft could i get, remember im just like you.. cheap

you need a DS that is a little longer...

lengthen the stock DS?

maybe...

jpnjason said:
I'm running about 7" of lift and I have virtually no vibes......WITHOUT an sye.
I have RE 1462 leaves and RE 1.25" shackles on top of a D35 (for now) and I use a 1" TC drop. The secret was using a YJ slip yoke and a slightly longer shaft. I measured the angles on both yokes and without any shims there is less than .5 degrees difference.

Now those cheap ass black steelies have been bent since new out of the box, and they are starting to loosen my fillings, but thats another story.

cough, cough, sneeze....sorry folks, it's that pesky BS allergy.

All the YJ shaft does is limit bind, as the yoke design offers more clearance. You have no idea how smooth your 7" lifted Jeep will run with an SYE and DC shaft installed.....I did it way back when, at 4.5" of lift at the time and I was already running a longer shaft, YJ yoke and proper angles dialed in by Woody himself....and I thought all the vibes were from my BFG MT's.

Then came the glorious day of SYE install, and my life has been smooth ever since........ymmv, of course.

Back