• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front end touch up

got all jackstands out by sunrise, its currently sitting at ride height with 7" of exposed shaft, dunno what we were thinking with the 2" poly block up top, we were replacing 2 oem iso's.
were gonna track down some smaller isolator blocks, and get the coils seated right (in as rush to get it on the wheels before 4am).

Looks good!!! The Did you measure your travel with everything hooked up (ie. track bar and all just no springs)?? Do you have provisions to fill your shocks or are you gonna take it somewhere when you are done?

I can't wait to see this thing on the road.....er....in the dirt.

UNFORTUNATELY, we dont have a nitro fill setup at this point, everythings gotta come out!

i did measure travel, its only 10 though.

My front shocks (King 2.5 bypasses) are mounted very similar to yours, but I was able to fit 12" shocks in. My straps are limiting travel to almost 12 1/2" at the bumps. When I get some longer straps, I "should" be able to get 13", maybe a tad more. Do those Fox shocks have longer bodies than the Kings?

-D

i will grab demensions when i pull em to charge em. i do need to order limit straps. i was thinking i should buy the hardware first, then mount em and measure the straps themself?

My front shocks (King 2.5 bypasses) are mounted very similar to yours, but I was able to fit 12" shocks in. My straps are limiting travel to almost 12 1/2" at the bumps. When I get some longer straps, I "should" be able to get 13", maybe a tad more. Do those Fox shocks have longer bodies than the Kings?

-D

What track bar are you using? Custom?

I know when we measured Jims, while setting up his airbumps, the track bar (RE extreme duty or whatever its called) was limiting travel. I won't say the number but it was not even 10". Just curious.

-D

the foxes im using do have the longer bottom heim, dont know if thats good or bad, it seemed better during installation. i have another set with 'short' ones (the blue one)
measurement is from the middle of the upper bolt hole.

7" of exposed shaft sounds pretty good. I think your on the right track.

Take a look at the track bar, what Andy mentions is very true, the track bar can be a key item to holding you back. Since your running a 2Wd beam, you should be able to get a ton of droop outta her.

you can run compressed air so you can drive to get them filled. Just make sure your comp doesn't puke water.

you can run compressed air so you can drive to get them filled. Just make sure your comp doesn't puke water.

NOT a good idea. The difference between compressed air and nitrogen is HUGE. Even with a filter or whatever you are using there will still be a ton of moisture in the air and it will stay in there and start corroding the shock internals. just wait for nitrogen.

Dewpoint temperatures in compressed air range from ambient
down to -112 °F (–80 °C), sometimes lower in special cases.
Compressor systems without air drying capability tend to
produce compressed air that is saturated at ambient
temperature. Systems with refrigerant dryers pass the
compressed air through some sort of cooled heat exchanger,
causing water to condense out of the air stream. These systems
typically produce air with a dewpoint no lower than 23 °F (5 °C).
Desiccant drying systems absorb water vapor from the air stream
and can produce air with a dewpoint of -40 °F (–40 °C) and drier​
if required.

Dewpoint of Nitrogen is approx -50°F

Translation, NO COMPRESSED AIR if you care about the shocks lasting at all.

Lots of guys do it and thats not an argument I'm getting into now.

Lots of guys do it and thats not an argument I'm getting into now.

I am sure plenty of guys do it... I have read a ton of people doing it on Dezert Rangers... a ton of the "bros" over there think it is ok.....

I think Andy's point is very well taken. Nobody says it wont seem like it works temporarily.. but what is being said is running it is going to cause long term damage. I personally would not be willing to risk a set of triple bypass Fox's....

Now, if I was running FOAs or something like that.. maybe... those are disposable anyways...

i actually may have hit the schraeder valve on a bumpstop, while it's compressed, now, it wont fully extend, if you pull it out it pulls back in, any chance i squirted out some oil? arent the air bumps kinda emulsion?

also, theyre only 2 tubes =)

7" of exposed shaft sounds pretty good. I think your on the right track.

Take a look at the track bar, what Andy mentions is very true, the track bar can be a key item to holding you back. Since your running a 2Wd beam, you should be able to get a ton of droop outta her.

7" of shaft is gonna shrink to 5-6" when we replace the coil isolators, and get it seated a little better, we were thinking 3" of down travel isnt very much, people allways talk about 60/40 40/60, but am confused =\.

as far as the trackbar, it was limiting uptravel due to brackets colliding, is there anything i should check about the trackbar for downtravel? i dont see anything colliding, joint-to-bracket wise at full droop (with shocks limiting)

the shocks are on, and theyre 10'ers, im stuck at 10 for a while pretty much, right?

i actually may have hit the schraeder valve on a bumpstop, while it's compressed, now, it wont fully extend, if you pull it out it pulls back in, any chance i squirted out some oil? arent the air bumps kinda emulsion?

also, theyre only 2 tubes =)

If there is any question just drain and refill. We had to do Jims. Well, Fordguy did Jims airbumps. They are pretty straight forward.

7" of shaft is gonna shrink to 5-6" when we replace the coil isolators, and get it seated a little better, we were thinking 3" of down travel isnt very much, people allways talk about 60/40 40/60, but am confused =\.

as far as the trackbar, it was limiting uptravel due to brackets colliding, is there anything i should check about the trackbar for downtravel? i dont see anything colliding, joint-to-bracket wise at full droop (with shocks limiting)

the shocks are on, and theyre 10'ers, im stuck at 10 for a while pretty much, right?

I don't think it's a contact bind more than just a mechanical bind that limits downtravel. Maybe with the shocks charged and springs in it, it might have forced it down more but just weight of the axle wouldn't get it to drop. I don't know maybe over the axle would be next option for removing that bind (if you have it).

Back