• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front end rebuild

tom from boston

NAXJA Forum User
Just read through a lot of search results and still have a few questions.

The basics: 94 XJ 4wd AW4 4.0L w/174K miles.

Ok, so I was going to sell my old XJ - but no one seems to want it. Plus, selling our 4wd truck before the New England winter just seems like a dumb move. :)

It recently failed inspection because there was "too much axel play and they're going to break". Well, the hubs are WAY past needing to be replaced. I knew that before trying to get it inspected. I've had the replacements sitting in the back of the Jeep for what feels like years. Anyway, seeing as how front axels seem to run about $270 a pair (from Quadratec) - I figured i'd ask the good folks here what they thought.

Generally the front end of this thing is REALLY loose - and I'm sure everything could use replacing, but I'm not keen on dumping a grand worth of parts into a $750 Jeep and being left with a $750 and a lighter wallet.

That said, here are the parts I have:
Take offs from a 99 Up Country XJ (bought from another member):
- Front coils and rear leafs
- Upper and Lower control arms
- Shocks and struts
- Front sway bar links
- Rear shackles
The forementioned new hubs and new Jeep bolts.

Here's what I figuring I need:
1. Driver and passanger axel U-Joints ($ 22.95 x 2 - $46)
2. Upper and lower ball joints for both sides ($44.95 x 2 = $90.00)
3. New ubolts ($6.95 x 2 - $14) - and some bolts from Lowes

One thing that's for sure is that every single bushing on this thing is hosed (old, cracked, destroyed). So, what all should I replace while I have it apart. I know this thing will never ride like a cadilac, but I'd like to at least tighten it up, and get it to the point for safety's sake that it can 1. pass inspection, and two get me too and fro this winter.

Oh yeah, and the master cylander seems to have just gone, so I have to dump some cash into brakes (the rears have NEVER been done and will need to be totally replaced) so I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row so I can have it all apart once over the course of one weekend.

Any input you folks might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

Back