• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front End Creaking noise

Ah yes, I seen someone post that over and over again. Ha. Thanks for the reminder though.

I'm just itchin to get this thing on some dirt but I really wanna make sure everything is top notch before I do. Ha

Alright man thanks, I appreciate it alot. I always do all my own work on my cars just new to the jeep and 4 wheel drive thing ha. Better safe than sorry right? Ha. I'm gonna go get the fluids tomorrow as well as swap out the headers since mine is cracked at the 6 cylinder.

When switching into 4wd your supposed to put it into neutral right?

I think what happened with the front DS getting stuck was I pulled off the rear DS then drove to make sure that was the vibrating that was occurring and even though I didn't drove far it was on asphalt in part time 4wd and it mustve locked up then.

Again thanks everyone for all the help! Cheers.

You can shift from 2HI to 4Hi at any legal speed while in gear. I usually pull the lever, let up o the gas for a second and then press back down on the gas. 4Hi to 4Lo stop with trans in N.

Haha sounds good. I pretty much can tell now whether I'm in 4 or 2 from just driving in 4 a little.

Well, everything went goo today. Went on a few hills and trails. Had a blast! Only problem I had was my brake booster vacuum line popping off and having to use both feet to brake for bout a hour till I figured out it was juts the line. Other then that I noticed it was running a little hot at times after climbing some steep hills and whatnot. Is that normal? Anything to do to prevent that? My coolant levels are good. Also is there a way to wire a switch to leave the fans running after turning off the engine?

Off to searching... Ha

How hot is too hot? Should run 205 to 215. Check your motor mounts and trans mount when yo uget a chance. Could your motor be moving enough to yank the booster hose off?

It was up near the 260 mark. Past the mark before 260 but not all the way at 260. It never overheats driving on the road always below 220 or sometimes I think I've seen it at 220 but never higher. Is it maybe the lack of airflow from driving slow in high rpms? It was getting hot early in the day on a small hill and it just took it easy for a while and it went back down. But later on I did a little bit more intense climbs in 4lo and then a slow trail back and thats when I noticed it was almost to 260! I just took it real easy back and once I was able to get on the road and drive 35 or so it cooled down pretty quickly. I do have a new water pump and thermostat but havn't had the time or need to replace it just yet but I suppose I could go ahead and do that now. Anything else I could check or replace?

Im not sure about the mounts havn't had a chance to check em but I will tomorrow. I think it might have not been on there all the way or something and just slipped off. It sure gave me a fright though coming down a really steep hill and having to put both feet on the brake pedal and still not slowing down much, haha. But after noticing he high idle in neutral and park I was thinking a vacuum leak possibly and sure enough it was that. So I'm glad it was an easy fix and nothing broke. Maybe I'll just put a small hose clamp on it to keep it on or a zip tie.

Havn't had a chance to change the water pump yet (alot bigger job then I thought) but I have noticed that the fluid in the system is mostly water and after talking to the guy who owned it last he said he just added water if it ever got hot or was low. So I'm thinking I'm going to flush the whole system out and make sure its all 50/50.

Anyways I went on a few small trails tonight with my buddy in his Dakota and had to pull him out twice in my stock jeep ha, but once again it started to get a little hot, not while pulling him out just when climbing. It's the weirdest thing though the second you put it in 4wd whether 4hi or 4lo it starts getting hot. I don't understand. I was in 2wd most of the time went to climb a hill started spinning a little so I stopped put it in 4hi and went about 50-100 feet and it started getting close to the third mark. I came down from the hill put it in 2wd and it went down quickly? I also checked when I got home and it's running in between the first mark and the middle most of the time, I put it in 4hi on my driveway drive up maybe 10ft and it started getting hotter just in that short amount of time. Anybody have any clues on this? The hottest it ever gets while just driving on roads is just barely past 210 if I'm idling for a while but I've never had any problems just driving, it's only when I go into 4 :/

Cooling system basics...

You have the dreaded pressurized bottle. The caps are notorious for failing to hold pressure, and the bottles crack. You lose pressure and water boils at 212 and bad things happen. There is an upgrade for the pressure cap - search the forums - I think it is a Volvo application. Get that done first. Flush and fill - go more like 60/40 water/antifreeze. The reason being that water transfers heat better than antifreeze. Also, if you can find a propylene glycol based coolant (such as Sierra brand) go with that because PG transfers heat better than the ethylene based products.

Make sure your electric fan is working. It should come on right around 210 on your gauge. When I got mine the previous owner said it ran hot and I found the fan was unplugged - plugged it back in and overheat problem solved.

The cap number is #10244 Stant. Napa has them for about $8. You need to have one. The others are pretty crappy, especially the ones supplied with the cheapo replacement coolant bottles.

Ok well I did a flush and replaced the hose going to the coolant tank and everything is good as far as heat goes now.

Went on a trail the other night, nothing major just a dirt road some sand and there was a couple puddles of mud. Was going for bout 3 hours or so with some buddies everything was fine. Right when we were bout to leave I put it into 4 hi to get through some mud then back into two. 5 min later I went to put it into 4 high again and my shift lever was stuck.... I figured maybe some mud or water got onto the linkage and froze maybe (it was bout 15 degrees) or just figure maybe the fluid was old/low. So got back pulled the front driveshaft off just to make sure it was binded up again and it was fine. Next day I drained the t-case fluid. It only drained 1/2 quart give or take some and it was dark black. Before I put the drain plug back on I felt my finger in there to see if there was any metal shavings or anything and whatever it was I'm not sure but there was a huge chunk of metal in there....... :/ felt like a bolt or something I have no idea! Whatever it is, it's to big to fit out of the drain hole. Since I got the jeep I've never grinded gears or drove on concrete or grippy surfaces in 4wd or done anything that would bring harm to the transmission or transfer case so whatever it is, it's probably been like that for a while. So I went ahead and fill the fluid back up just for now and its still stuck. I can attach a socket to where the linkage meets the t-case and hit it with a mallet and it'll move and shift into 4wd then hit it back into 2wd. So I'm stumped as what I should do next. Is it a big job to pull the t-case apart? Are there lose parts in it or would it just come apart like a diff cover? Either do that and see what that piece of metal is and go from there.... or I have another t-case with 50,000 miles less on it that I could swap out, but how big of a job is that? Never done anything like that before. Opinions, ideas, anything.

Thanks

Back