• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front drive shaft removal

hdis2002

NAXJA Forum User
Running into a little problem getting the front drive shaft off. The bolts on the yoke at the axle came out with no issue. The bolts at the TC are giving me a headache. It appears they are 5/16 and a socket fits fine, but the ratchet won't fit so I tried a 5/16 and 8mm open end wrench. Too much play, just rounds off. Same result with box end wrench. Nothing bigger or smaller fits but all are too loose to turn the bolts. I've probably been looking at it too long and am missing the obvious. Any words of wisdom?

I've run into the same issue a long time ago. Not enough room for a proper 6-point socket, and the cheap, small open ended wrenches flex and round off the bolt.

I've got a cheap 5/16 flare-nut wrench that fits well to get them initially loose. I have also resorted to tack welding the head into a 5/16 wrench. I've also see people resort to cutting the bolt head off with a dremel.

I have never had a problem with an 8mm 6 point box end wrench loosening my front driveshafts or junkyard drive shafts.

Since the bolt heads are rounded, as suggested already, you will likely have to resort to welding or grinding the heads off.

Last edited:
I was expecting a problem the 1st time with such small bolts underneath a 20 year old 4x4, so never occurred to me to use anything other than a 1/4 drive 8mm 6 point socket, after dousing everything with penetrant of choice. Wasn't a problem then or since (& I've had both drive shafts off my 3 XJ's at least once). Of course, if the heads are already rounded then that's a different issue altogether.

Use a small box end, or wratcheting wrench. If they’re already rounded, you will have to pull the trans cross member, and get on them with a stripped head bolt
Remover, Or even a pair of vise grips brake line nut style.

Thanks for all the replies. To those that said they used a socket, I'm curious how you did it. I can't get a socket and ratchet on the bolt. Not enough room. The socket goes on but there isn't enough room for the ratchet. That's using a 1/4 inch drive. Anyway, I'll try a 8mm box end.

You could always use a breaker bar or sliding T-bar at least to crack the bolts but I honestly don't recall the problem you mention. Might've used an extension on the less accessible bolts (I've always done this with all 4 wheels on the deck, so turning the shaft wasn't an option).

95% sure I can get a ratchet on those using a low profile socket and a good thin ratchet like Matco. If that doesn’t work, you could always use a variety of wobble extensions. Where there is a will, there’s a way!

Back