• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front bumper bolts

no grade, thats just a cut paste directly from my email.

its like 45lbs, and I have a buddy who will help. He has a garage that we can use to hang the bumper to paint.

There it is guys.... straight from the man! Thanks for stopping in and setting the record straight.

Using grade 8's and not installing tie-in brackets seems counter productive. Any pull on the bumper strong enough to sheer or bend a grade 5 bolt means you should have tie-ins (or tighter installed bolts.) We bump up the front two uni-frame holes to 7/16 because this allows you to remove the factory 10mm nut clips, and they fill the hole left nicely.

Also with the kinds of torque necessary to securely fasten the tie-in brackets or bumpers to the uni-frame, grade 5 bolts are more than adequate. We use grade 8 bolts on the steering box because of all the loads associated with it.

dont use grade 8 bolts in a bumper theres no bend they just sheer off if you put the right force to them the grade 5 bolts will bend before they brake. 10 mmis the size if the bolts not the head lol mine were 10mm in both frt and rear bumpers. i think x2elite is right about calling JRC and asking them!

A grade 8 bolt will always be stronger in both sheer and bending. Your correct a grade 8 bolt doesn't bend much before it breaks... but at the point the grade 8 bends the grade 5 would be long destroyed. It's all a mute point anyway, because if you ever have the chance to notice a bent bolt when it's installed, that bolt is in the improper application or improperly installed.

With all hardened bolts any nicks or chips will cause a stress riser and ultimately a failure. Inspect your critical bolts closely.

We use Grade 5 for all the bolts expect for replacement steering box bolts, which we use Grade 8 for that.

thank you thank you, and sorry for blowing up your email .

I know, I am glad he came on and straightened it all out.

Those darn "know it all" people..... lol

The cheapest and best selection here in G-ville is the Tractor Supply. They sell their bolts by weight, not quantity and will save you a bunch. I guess it would be $5-$10 for the bunch, Bolts, Washers and nuts.

thanks, I will go check it out.

Back