• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Freeze plug replacement?

dandecicco

NAXJA Forum User
How hard is it to replace the driver's side freeze plug above the motor mount (4.0)? Isn't it just backing out the old plug and screwing in a new one? What, about a 30 minute job, or is there more than what I am thinking?
Thanks.

Once you get the old plug out then it's just a matter of putting the new BRASS one up there and getting a few good hits on it with a hammer. I generally put a light coating of indian head gasket cement around the hole to get a really good seal. Just be careful not to drive it INTO the block..

Use a big socket, as a driver, that will fit out to the edge. Don't know how well you can get to it. I replaced one that had been weeping on that side while I was replacing the ex. manifold. If you can get to it, and have room to swing a hammer, no problem. You can use an expanding rubber one, but I don't reccommend it. 2nd on the permatex.

Thanks guys. Don't know why I was thinking screw when I know dang well they pound in. I am sticking it on a lift today to see if I can get an angle on it. Thanks for the seal suggestion. I'll use it. Just hope I have the room and don't have to pull the manifold. It is my wife's Jeep (wj) since I no longer have my XJ (I am the proud owner of a 73 FJ40) and need to decide if it is worth my time or my money to have someone do it. I replaced the dang fuel pump and seals on the tranny. Not as much fun when it isn't a toy and it is needed to haul the kid around and go to the store.

If you pull the block side motor mount bracket off, then you can actually hit the stupid plug straight in, otherwise, it will try to kick to the side, and then blow out of the motor. Been there, did that, pulled the bracket.

Back