• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Frame stiffener prep question

So here's a question: assuming that the stiffener is covering up all of the OEM drain holes on the frame rail, do you add a new one towards the back? Water still has a way in through other areas.

I'm planning to use weld through primer on the unibody rails & the backside of the stiffeners. I live in a damp climate & plan to keep this XJ for a long time so I don't want rust forming behind the stiffeners. Planning to seam seal the edges after welding them in as well.

Here's a question, what thickness are the XJ unibody rails? I'm wondering what welder settings to use (Hobart 140). I know the stiffys are 10 gauge...

I'm planning to use weld through primer on the unibody rails & the backside of the stiffeners. I live in a damp climate & plan to keep this XJ for a long time so I don't want rust forming behind the stiffeners. Planning to seam seal the edges after welding them in as well.

Here's a question, what thickness are the XJ unibody rails? I'm wondering what welder settings to use (Hobart 140). I know the stiffys are 10 gauge...

From what I found on naxja:

"I used a Lincoln Weldpak 155 (220v) with .030" wire and CO2+Argon. The heat setting depended on the thickness of the material I was welding to the unibody. One key thing is to remove as much of the undercoating/seem sealer as possible. That stuff (even when it's on the otherside of the area you're welding in) will super-heat and blast through your puddle. Not only will it ruin your weld, but it hurts like hell."

Also, DO NOT use brake cleaner to clean then weld. Very bad things will happen.

Funny you should post here...Im talking about your stiffeners! I placed my order earlier today.

I certainly will not be using brake cleaner to clean anything before I weld. My plan is to use weld through primer, which I also ordered today. Im going to finish everything up with a splash of undercoating to have that "factory" look.

i found that it didnt completely cover every hole so i left it open. i live at the ocean where things rust within minutes and i didnt go though all that didnt seem necessary to use weld through primer and so far i havnt had any issue

What kind of technique are you guys using for the plug welds on these stiffeners? I've done plug welds for autobody work before but not for welding materials of different thicknesses. Did some searching on this topic and there seems to be different opinions on how to do it, some say to start in the center and work out to the edges, and others say start with the perimeter of the holes and work inward. I'm used to starting in the center for sheet metal, but I was thinking since I'm welding thicker material to thin it'd make more sense to start with the perimeter and work inward. I even saw a writeup where someone said he found it easiest to weld a half circle at a time. I guess a lot of it is just a personal preference thing, but any advice?

Also, I was planning on using flux core since I'm working outside and sometimes it's breezy, but read that it's easier to see what you're doing and control the weld puddle on this kind job with gas. Thoughts on that? I haven't done any welding with flux core before but I figured I'd do a bunch of practicing before installing the stiffeners. If it's much more cumbersome than what I'm used to I guess I can pick up a bottle of gas and wait for a day with no wind.

Flux core works fine

weld the perimeter, then come back and fill

skip around a lot to keep from heating the body too much

I think flux core would be ok. just keep in mind it burns hotter.

And more splatter.....don't forget the ear plugs.

Both of these x2. I did all of mine with flux core. I'd also strongly recommend proper protection equipment (welding jacket, etc). I did all mine in just a long sleeve shirt (which works fine when you're in a good welding position) but it was not fun.

And more splatter.....don't forget the ear plugs.

lol -

just got my stiffeners in last Saturday. My brother did the welding - he took a shot in the ear.

He didn't like it. :D

We had a fluxcore. Rosettes/stitch welds. It burned through the unirail pretty quick in a couple spots but it worked well.

I managed to talk my father in law into doing the welding portion for me. Thats good, since I cant weld with a sh@t. :D

I got confirmation the stiffeners shipped yesterday, so Im hoping to have these on by next weekend. Im also adding C4x4 rock sliders at the same time.

lol -

just got my stiffeners in last Saturday. My brother did the welding - he took a shot in the ear.

He didn't like it. :D

We had a fluxcore. Rosettes/stitch welds. It burned through the unirail pretty quick in a couple spots but it worked well.

I also got a hot spark in my ear...hurts

Back