• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Forestry Service....

XbajajeepX

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone here work for the Forestry Service??? I am going to be heading back up to Oregon to attend Central Oregon Community College(COCC) For Forestry Managment. For those of you who do:

Where do you work?
What is your job title?
Hows the pay?
Job security?

Feel free to give as much info as you feel.

THANKS!!

Mike

I know that you won't get rich working for the USFS but I still think it would be an interesting job.

Tell you what Mike, come on up to Big Bear on Friday, May 4th for our Adopt-A-Trail maintenance day and you can chat up a real live USFS dude who will be with us. ;)

Yeah I dont plan on getting rich. Just a job that lets me be outside in natural most of the time, I guess...

Unfortunately I will be working this fri, sat, and sun...I hate retail..

HA! I actually really had that nasty flu all last week so theres no more flu for me :-(

Tell them you're going to a funeral - bury a pencil or something :thumbup:

===

Would they be willing to let you have time off for "Community Service?"

===

The flu lowered your immune system and now you have a nasty & contagious sinus infection.... -sniff

===

What type of retail? Maybe if you can sell some t-shirts on the trail then they wouldn't mind. :D

===

I'll write you a doctor's note. "Sorry, Mike is can't go to work today, and I can't tell you why because of HIPPA regulations."

===

Forest service been berry, berry good, to me :D

I have a degree in Anthropology, not Forestry, but some of my best friends are foresters :laugh2:

Seriously, talking about US Forest Service, a degree in Forestry Management will get you in the door. A Masters will bump you from entry level (marker) to management (silviculture, timber sales, GIS/GPS, etc). Once in, with on-the-job and career development training you can do almost anything. The catch is, to move up you have to be willing to move around. I've been to Idaho, South Carolina and Texas. Our new Ranger went Minnesota, Alaska, SoCal, Texas. Just two examples, but everybody who has moved up in the USFS has moved around to do it. You can find details on benefits, etc. at www.opm.gov

Sequoia said:
They have trees in Texas? :dunno:

From Huntsville up to Tyler. Known in Texas as the Piney Woods, alot of the Southern Yellow Pine of the first half of the 20th Century came from Southeast and East Texas. This area of pine hills constitutes the western most extent of the Pine Barrens that stretch along the Southeastern and Southern states. The Piney Hills gives way to oak scrub as one moves westward into the drier zones of Central Texas.

So endeth the :lecture:

Everything south of Dallas and East of Houston is nothing but thick timber. Kind of turns to scrub past I think Bryan college station around A&M.Wife thought the same thing until she went home to visit my family on vacation for the first time. About the same make up timber wise as Miss or LA. P.S. great deer and hog hunting.

Texas has one less tree, thanks to me, and a 1976 Ford Grenada, and a pothole, and a broken tie-rod, and a newbie driver(me).:thumbup:

Last edited:
Back