• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

? for those with removeable doors

Hey ashman...I bought some q-logic pods to relocate my speaker to the kick panel, but they are too big to be used with a manual tranmission (gets in the way of the pedal). I have them and am looking to sell them...they are gray, with JL speakers in them. Let me know if you're interested. You can see them at sounddomain.com and jsut search for them. I can also send you pics of my own. _nicko_

Can someone show me a pic of their hinge that shows where they cut and put the pin? It's hard to visualize. I have been wanting to do this for a long time, but never got around to it. A pic of both methods (lift off and unbolt) would be aweosome. Thanks in advance.

Andrew

gearwhine said:
Hey ashman...I bought some q-logic pods to relocate my speaker to the kick panel, but they are too big to be used with a manual tranmission (gets in the way of the pedal). I have them and am looking to sell them...they are gray, with JL speakers in them. Let me know if you're interested. You can see them at sounddomain.com and jsut search for them. I can also send you pics of my own. _nicko_

I dont need them, The ones I made work..

I have a 5sp also and have a 6in, 4in, and tweeter in my pods, there even seprate chambers for the 4in and teh 6in speakers.

I dotn have a good pic of the drivers side, but If you wanted to you codul cut adn add fiberglass tothe ones you have.. unless there plastic...I thing the Q-logics are plastic?

Toss them on ebay...

Heres another pic during the fiberglass stage, but again you cant see the drivers side one verry well.

I guess if you had like a 13.5in shoe even my pods wouldent work?!:D

BTT

Me to!:)

I just modified my doors about two weeks ago. I have a 93 XJ. Before getting out the tools, I took some model paint and painted all the way around my door hinges and shims. Once the paint was dry, I unbolted and removed the doors. Then I used a Dremel tool with a small cutting disc and cut off the lower ear of the hinge. I was then able to knock down and off the lower ear and then pull the hinge up and out leaving the entire pin untouched. At that point I simply cleaned up my Dremel cut , painted the bare metal, and rounded the end of the hinge pin so it would center in the hole and slide in easier. On the passenger side the pin is driven in up from the bottom so after you cut the lower ear you will lift the hinge up and off and then pull the lower ear (with the pin in it) down and out. Then I used a grinder and a very thin cutting wheel and cut the ear almost to the pin on both sides and broke the ear in half leaving the pin untouched. Then simply drive the pin into the hinge from the top (matching the driver side). Then I reinstalled the hinges on the doors using the model paint as a guide to align them (the doors are aligned like I never touched them)

I have been hashing this mod over some more since the weather is finally starting to warm up out here. I hate to cut the hinges up and I am thinking of taking the pins out and replaceing them with a bolt of the right size, ground a little maybe to fit..... dunno, will have to see what I find. Has been raining so much though I need the doors to stay dry!

Here's a pic:
1053580527_doorjamb2.jpg

Don't pay attention to the greenish arrow. The red arrow is the cut hinge (not the greates pic, I know). The red circle is a bolt I use (don't use a nut on the bottom anymore) to keep the door catch working. To deactivate the buzzer with the doors off, pull the kick panlel off then look for the wires going into the switch. Trace it back to a connector. Unplug it and the buzzer goes off. I hang mine out over the kickpanel for easy access, they do not get in the way, even when working the clutch.

Oh and you have to trim the hinge pin down. If it's too long the doors won't come off. On mine the pins were pressed in from the top on the drivers side, the from the bottom on the pass side. I had to use bolts on the pass side.

Cut bottom of hinges, trim forward edge of bucket, use stock pins, leave upper a little longer than the bottom. Don't need nuts or bolts or anything to hold modified doors in place- just close them before driving off. That's all I got time for right now. I've had removable doors for a couple years now and that's how we done it

How the hek are you guys able to get to the bolt heads to remove the hinges???:confused: I tried to do mine over the weekend and couldn't get to the rear bolts to remove em.

By being more stubborn and determined to get the bolts out than the bolts were to stay in

Try a universal? I think I may have also resorted to using Vise Grips onthe head in a couple of places

Why are these tech articles limited to Members?!

to piss of freeloaders!!!

:D

come awn man!

think seriously about being a member!

ashman, have you ever attended a Naxja event? I swear, there's no finer, better organized and fun-as-hell jeep event you can attend.....and that's just ONE of the benefits of membership.

and then you have the excellent tech articles!

I've tryed to become a member but I'm not old enough :confused: :(

Back